Cheers guys for all your input, I took the said weapon back to the dealer 1st thing which meant taking time out from work for a couple of hours but hey ho, they were surprisingly very laid back about it, turns out it had been one huge administration cock up. They sold it and had it on the shelf as a Sec 2 weapon and knew nothing about it being sec 1 untill I raised the issue. Made my feelings clear, left it in their hands to sort out and basically covered my ass. Now awaiting the outcome ! ;)

best option all round puts the ball back in there court, although it could have been sent to them as a section 2 from the distributor :hmm: or just a plain and simple balls up there end :laugh:

Although I agree with much of what has been said on this thread, I personaly don't think you would be at risk of losing your Certificates in this case. You bought the gun in good faith and trusted the RFD. As long as you make every effort to return the gun as soon as the Dealership is open then I cant see how you could be punished. However the RFD could be in trouble for the mistake. As for the case of the ex soldier being charged for handing in a gun he found, there is a liittle more to the story than that comment would have you beleive.

http://www.thisissur...tail/story.html

I don't know what you mean by that mate??

Yes he walked free, but he should never have been charged in the first place.

Cases like that make some people not trust the police and intentionally break the law. Irrespective of how many coppers he was sleeping with, he rang up in good faith to report a criminal offence, followed the instructions, then got hung out to dry.

I'd rather throw an illegal firearm in the sea than hand it in.

Although I agree with much of what has been said on this thread, I personaly don't think you would be at risk of losing your Certificates in this case. You bought the gun in good faith and trusted the RFD. As long as you make every effort to return the gun as soon as the Dealership is open then I cant see how you could be punished.

I wouldn't count on it. Look at the cases of people who have been convicted with possession of a S1 firearm for holding an air weapon which is over the legal limit, even when they bought it in good faith from an RFD. It is the possession which is an offence, it matters not how you came to be in possession.

Maybe they would prosecute, maybe not, I'd rather not take the risk!

Now the weapon is back with them. Point out to them the risks that they have exposed you to. A cock-up like that shouldn't happen!

Although I agree with much of what has been said on this thread, I personaly don't think you would be at risk of losing your Certificates in this case. You bought the gun in good faith and trusted the RFD. As long as you make every effort to return the gun as soon as the Dealership is open then I cant see how you could be punished. However the RFD could be in trouble for the mistake. As for the case of the ex soldier being charged for handing in a gun he found, there is a liittle more to the story than that comment would have you beleive.

Cases like that make some people not trust the police and intentionally break the law. Irrespective of how many coppers he was sleeping with, he rang up in good faith to report a criminal offence, followed the instructions, then got hung out to dry.

What I mean is that it wasn't simply a case of a guy finding and handing in a weapon. He kept hold of it for 4 days insisting on handing it in to the superintendant. Had he just phoned the police and told them he had found a gun at the bottom of his garden and could they come and collect it, Its unlikely he would have been charged. If you read the story in the link I put up you'll understand why he was charged.

Although I agree with much of what has been said on this thread, I personaly don't think you would be at risk of losing your Certificates in this case. You bought the gun in good faith and trusted the RFD. As long as you make every effort to return the gun as soon as the Dealership is open then I cant see how you could be punished.

I wouldn't count on it. Look at the cases of people who have been convicted with possession of a S1 firearm for holding an air weapon which is over the legal limit, even when they bought it in good faith from an RFD. It is the possession which is an offence, it matters not how you came to be in possession.

Maybe they would prosecute, maybe not, I'd rather not take the risk!

Now the weapon is back with them. Point out to them the risks that they have exposed you to. A cock-up like that shouldn't happen!

I agree its not worth the risk which is why I suggested he took the gun back. I think the problem with the whole airgun issue is that in many cases the owners knew damn well the guns were over 12ft lbs and just try to flunk the law. In a case like this they could not possibly accuse him of any wrong doing because there is no greay area because its clearly an error on behalf of teh RFD. However as you say I wouldn't want to be in his shoes if they had knocked on the door Monday morning!

What I mean is that it wasn't simply a case of a guy finding and handing in a weapon. He kept hold of it for 4 days insisting on handing it in to the superintendant. Had he just phoned the police and told them he had found a gun at the bottom of his garden and could they come and collect it, Its unlikely he would have been charged. If you read the story in the link I put up you'll understand why he was charged.

I stand corrected :thumbs:

I skimmed it instead of reading it properly... In that case, then he was obviously guilty of possession for at least 4 days.

In this case, they'd probably do him for not ringing them as soon as he'd noticed!