got my first gun safe what length n make bolts do i need for my shotgun safe do they need to be any specific make

hi all got my first gun safe what length n make bolts bolts do i need for my shotgun safe do they need to be any specific make my friend said they have to have a stamp on them to say they are British standers or will b n q own do the job

thanks 123hw80

Hi 123

Home Office advice states:

Any security device should be securely fixed to the fabric of the building.; For preference it should be in a room or area that does not have direct access to the outside of a building.; It should not be in a garage, shed or other outside building, except in certain circumstances.; When considering large or heavy gun cabinets,you should consider the load bearing strength of your floors.; Wherever possible, it should be fixed to a wall that is built from bricks or concrete blocks or to the floor.

My only additional advice, assuming you are drilling into an inner leaf of blockwork, is to leave a third of the block thickness intact i.e. for a 100mm block 70/75mm rawl bolt should suffice (and don't overtighten it).

Hope this helps

As long as it's fixed to the wall and the FAO can't move the thing it should be OK. I went a bit overkill when i fixed mine. I drilled extra holes in the back of the cabinet, making 10, and fixed them to the wall with sleeve anchors. The bottom was fixed to the floor with 4 bolts which were fixed with chemical resin. If you use sleeve anchors, drill right through to the cavity. Then if you ever got to move house you can just push the anchors into the cavity and fill the hole with polyfilla, job done!. If you don't you have to cut the bolts off with a mini grinder and this will make a mess of the wall.