Cartridge fouling...

I've picked up a Lanber 28" multichoke recently at a sporting auction, we also picked up a box of 'various' 12 bore cartridges. The cartridges in question are Lyalvale Express Fibre 30grm #9 shot. They were going very cheap, and we fired off a few to test the gun. After 4 shots, I noticed the barrels were ridden in powder residue and smoke, the amount that should accumulate over a day's shooting! :hmm:

The brass is slightly rusty, but still fires fine. Is this a problem with the cartridge? I thought it might be because the powder doesn't burn quick enough. Any help is appreciated.

How much residue are we talking?

As in visible flakes of unburnt powder in the barrels or just flecks like you'd expect from firing a 20+ year old cartridge i.e. not modern smokeless powder?

If its the former then it sounds as though the powder has got damp somehow and isn't burning efficiently.

How old are these shells? The rust of obviously a very visible sign of them being kept in moist conditions which isn't good for ammunition.

I also notice that if i look down my barrels after a dozen carts say then the barrel appears just as if not more dirty then after 100 or so and sometimes i think it might be that once the barrels start warming up and a few shots have been fired it almost cleans itself if that makes sense, although that could just be my eyes.. :blink:

Only thing to also watch is that the the wad actully leaves the barrel, as if not burning all powder can lead to a pressure build up

within the barrel as the wad and shot take longer to leave the barrel,

i saw a new browning barrel swell with the same problem, browning done tests and the ammo was the cause,

think of it like this the wad and shot go slower down the barrel, but the pressue is still moving forward, and catches the wad and shot,

with no where to go the pressure will swell the barrel,

you'd think it couldn't happen but i assure you it can,

i advise caution it your seeing unburnt powder flakes within the barrel..

ATB,

Snap.