• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shot a myxi with the 243 the other day, at aboot 20 yrds,,, not pleasant

22lr for me as an all rounder, great for rabbits out to 150 yards ok on foxes to 50/60 yards and cheap ammo. the .17 is too harsh on bunnies unless you head shoot them and not enough for foxes past 80 yards (my opinion) expensive ammo.

hmr 20p a pop at northampton gun.

Regarding which is best, it's horses for course.

Despite some fanciful claims across the net, realistically the .22lr is a shorter range tool, great for really quiet bunny bopping with subs, say 50 to 75 yards for most half decent mortals.

The .17 is fantastic on crows, magpies and other wary quarry for much longer ranges, say 75 to 200 yards (much further for some) and is fab for shooting down the length of hedgerows.

It is noisy though and isn't much use around buildings such as farms because it can be quite intrusive.

If I could only have one, it would be the .22 as it is useful for more of the time, but I'm glad I have both as there are times when the .22 just doesn't have the range.

Cheers

Duncan.

come on dunc anyone can shoot rabbits with a 22 far past 75 yards, and who seriously shoots rabbits at 200yards. but like you say horses for coarses

Can't say as I agree with you on 2 out of 3 points rich, such is lifes rich pageant :thumbs: