any one want to swap a pair of rams horn for a nice catty?

i put this up ages ago but nothing came of it.

just wondering if any of the lads who make the quality cattys i keep seeing would be interested in making me one in exchange for some nice rams horn?

catty would need to be set up ready to go, fitted with good bands so i can just get out with it with no messing around.

let me know if anyone is interested as the rams horn is really hard to get now, well for me it is. im a slaughterman and its been months since ive seen a set worth keeping.

• Like 1

It depends what you want it for or what you're used to. Square rubber is more forgiving, is smoother to shoot, but is slower. It can be really accurate with practice and a .44 cal lead ball launched from it takes game out to decent distances. It shoots steel well enough but is best suited to lead.

Flatbands are harder to get the best from, they are harsher to shoot and harder to draw back. They are very fast and can be cut to suit your projectile. They too can be extremely accurate and can be pushed out to further ranges, due to their faster velocity and greater power.

Your best bet would be to buy one from one of the blokes making catties as a business. Naturals are good but you need to feel them in your hand as you make them. Let the fork make the finished shape, don't over work the wood. I discard lots of forks, even though they look nice, they don't feel right or shoot straight.

8e44d1b1.jpg

f27bf936.jpg

bandedcatty001-1.jpg

bandedcatty003-1.jpg

IMG_2748-1.jpg

IMG_2747-1.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

Woodlandcottage301011028.jpg

Anything like these or something different? They're Roe, Alder, Oak and Birch.

well at least i know you can make them now,,,,,bit untidy how you tie them on :whistling: the thera bands that is but the top ones i like :thumbs: Edited by micckey
  • 3 weeks later...