rabbits vs hares

on my permission i have a lot of both and at this time of year i would say over the 1st 30 seconds rabbits are faster then hares,

Ok rabbits dont do 3 minute runs but we do course a lot bigger numbers in the night of rabbits,

So who does think this time of year on the wheat fields the rabbit is the supreme athlete over 30 seconds.

Edited by whisperingeye

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should probably rethink your times ! 30 seconds is an awfully long time on a rabbit !! If a dog can't catch a rabbit in 30 seconds, it wont be catching many at all !! LOL !!   Cheers.

Don't know about being faster than hares but I don't think people give rabbits enough credit for how bloody fast they are over short runs, when they only have 20 or so meters til they reach safety the

Ask your self this how many rabbits would get caught with in the 1st 30secs by a lucher ,then how many hares would you catch with in the same time with the same dog and then you get your answer

You should probably rethink your times ! 30 seconds is an awfully long time on a rabbit !! If a dog can't catch a rabbit in 30 seconds, it wont be catching many at all !! LOL !!

Cheers.

if a rabbit took 30 seconds to run across most of the field I hunt I could catch the f'ckin things myself! :laugh: they usually get 5 seconds tops I reckon.

well a rabbit can it 30mph top speed for 10-15 sec's , my dogs will run the same. But hare can it 40mph top speed , and run 30mph for 1-3 mins , and some of the best greyhounds or coursing dogs will only catch them.Many at time ive lamped a rabbit and it gone really fast to get to edge row, and when people say you dont need as fast dog to catch rabbits, well all i can say if your dog is just one pace no extra gears , you will miss a few for the bag :yes:

• Like 1

on my permission i have a lot of both and at this time of year i would say over the 1st 30 seconds rabbits are faster then hares,

Ok rabbits dont do 3 minute runs but we do course a lot bigger numbers in the night of rabbits,

So who does think this time of year on the wheat fields the rabbit is the supreme athlete over 30 seconds.

The thing is with a rabbit the first 30 sec is about catching it , usually the first30 sec on a hare is about the dog getting on terms .

• Like 2