The fonz (racing whippet)

Does any of you whippet racing lads know anything about this dog. When i was still at school i was into ferreting and ratching big time. A man from our town brought a whippet back that he had been bought, i think it was from the north east. I could take this dog out ratching whenever i wanted he also had a spaniel/whippet cross that was awsome in cover.When he got the racing dog it was a young dog at the time. It was just used for hunting rabbits/hares and stood around 22". Looked like he had greyhound in him with the shape. The man was told on purchase that it was a racing bred dog that was run under the name 'the fonz' dont know if was any good or not. Anyway this dog turned out to be the best daytime rabbit dog i have ever seen, it had a brilliant nose and would mark cover like a pointer until the ratching dog flushed it, then it was usually game over. Was rapid on take off and very fast, did not have the greatest wind though, had to catch long ears within the first half dozen turns or faded a bit but soon got his wind back. This would be around the late 70's. He lived to a very old age. Was a cracker to look at and a cracker at work, i would love to have a dog like that now. I can still remember some of the courses he had but you never forget the good times when you were young. Just though about looking on bwra database.

Edited by lifelong cumbrian

I seem to remember a Fonz back in the 70's, and it was a dog. I had a bitch similar bred, Flossy, by Rch Yorkie Boy, out of a Greyhound,around the same time. As Sowhat says, some of the information on BWRA Data isn't correct, but it is a very good tool for checking back on Non-Ped breeding.

Cheers.