Barrel length on Semi Auto

Hi, I am thinking of buying a semi auto, can anyone tell me if there would be any disadvantage to 26" barrels instead of 28" I Would like it for pigeon and a bit of an all rounder. Reason for the question is that I have located one very reasonably priced new with 26" barrels the 28" is quite a bit more.

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't make any odds either way. Shot everythin from 26" to 32" on an auto which is really long. No difference in killin power regardless of range in my eyes. Put the right address on it and he's yours!! The yanks are big into using short barrels because there mostly firin steel through them. If you intend to fire steel you would be at an advantage with shorter barrels. Have to try somthin to get the shite to spread!!! ATB Mark

I find an auto tends to be the equivalent of adding an extra 2 inches on the barrels because of its overall length i.e. a 30" auto to me feels as long as a 32" O/U.

I shoot a 26" auto and it makes no difference whatsoever having two less inches. It would be the same as saying a 28" S/S has different killing power compared to a 30" O/U.

As said above, shorter autos are much easier to swing in a hide.