first time out with my mate and his shotgun

A friend of mine who i do dog work with took me out tonight on a permission to look for a fox thats had all the farmers chickens , im a dog man but i thought i should have a go to see what it was about , we did a patrol of the land (100acres) and had a call but no fox . My mate had a rabbit on the way back to the van and i had a woodcock which amazed me as i was sure id miss and look a twat , it was a 12bore with up and under type barrel it was a good crack my ears still ringing though lol i might go out again soon to do a few fox though on some bigger land

Atb Trinder

I'm fairly new to rough shooting as well. I've a mate who has been kind (and patient!!) enough to take me out a few times.

Personally I find it quite a lot harder than I expected :)

Glad you had a good day out :thumbs:

Easy Trinder!

The comment wasn't about foxes or rabbits but about the woodcock.

Woodcock are game birds and its illegal to shoot them in the dark, it is also illegal to shoot game on a Sunday.

All the best

Jonno

didnt know it was illegal to do that but it wasnt sunday cause it was gone 12 but you learn something new every day

It was my first go on of a shotgun so how was i supposed to know

In fairness you weren't to know, but your friend who knows more about the sport than you should most certainly know! Anyway that aside, I hope you enjoyed eating the Woodcock and who knows even develop an interest in shooting them (legally that is) ;)

Your 'mate' should have known, and you should not have fired said shotgun without knowing the rules, the only bird that can be lamped LEGALY is the feral pigeon!! personally i wish you had missed and looked a 'twat' al least oyu would have been within the law~!

lesson learnt with the Woodcock mate. If being honest im sure we've all knocked one off with the lamp once or twice in our younger days. When you do the sport for long enough you'll appreciate how great a sporting bird the Woodcock is. They're migration alone is incredable. Once you start flushing and shooting them in the day and see how challenging they are you'll see what we're all on about mate.

All the best

Rob