5YR OLD HARRIS

CO CHISE

hi lads, ive just been given a 5yr old male harris with everything to go with it, the lad who gave me it had hunted with it at mainly rabbits but for last 10mth or so he hasnt done anything with it or hardly handled it through been very busy at work, to be honest im very green at this game but willing to give it a go, something ive been interested in but havnt had a chance at doing it, ive been paling it but its taking some doing, it trys to fly of when i go near it but i can get it feeding it on the glove but it takes some doing, im feeding it day olds, around 3 a day, is 3 too many and should i cut the feed down to get him more use to me ? he weighs around 2.1, is this too big/fat for a male and what is the ideal flying weight for a male, any advice would be appreciated,

lad the best thing for you to do is get a falconer close by that can help you out, or give the bird to someone that has birds, getting advice about the birds weight over the internet is a sure way for a disaster!

I agree every bird is different in weight and size, your best bet is to hand the bird to someone who knows more about falconry

bit harsh saying give it away without giving it a try ?i dont know anyone else or any falcon center near me, the lad who gave me it has given me his advice but i was trying to hear others views on harris's aswell , all i realy wanted to know was, is the bird too old for me to try paling it up as it does seem abit wild when i go near it and what was the best way to try to calm it down, i was only asking if i was feeding it too much and what was the ideal flying weight for a male and would it be better me cutting its feed down to try to get it to come to me better,

bit harsh saying give it away without giving it a try ?i dont know anyone else or any falcon center near me, the lad who gave me it has given me his advice but i was trying to hear others views on harris's aswell , all i realy wanted to know was, is the bird too old for me to try paling it up as it does seem abit wild when i go near it and what was the best way to try to calm it down, i was only asking if i was feeding it too much and what was the ideal flying weight for a male and would it be better me cutting its feed down to try to get it to come to me better,

If its a go'er give it a go co chise :thumbs:. its not a bird fresh out of a aviary that needs manning and trainning from the start, the bird has been flown before regular and Hunted which is a major benefit to you handling wise, the lad who gave it to you will also be on hand to help you out as and when needed....

best get up the Library or off Ebay mate and pick up a book Falconry Art And Practice - Emma Ford has plenty of info to give you some pointers plus there is plenty of others to help along the way, until then its best not to mess about with its weight too much until you understand its managment.....

thanks jasper65 for a positive reply, i was on verge of giving it away, lol, the lad who gave it to me is very helpfull and is on end of a phone line if i need him for anything realy, i was just trying to asks others for there opinion as we all have different ways on going about things no matter what it is, im new to this and was asking for advice, thats all, i have afew books and dvd's that lad borrowed me and i have tried to read through acouple of the books but its alot to take in at first, the main advice i was hoping for was over the birds age, i just didnt want to put time and effort into it if it wasnt going to man up to me at a age it is, im in a position were i can take the bird with me to work and look after and spend time with it as much as i can, if i didnt i wouldnt have taken it on, these are the books he borrowed me,

Hi where a bouts are you! There maybe someone on here closer than you think and willing to help.

Hopefully you have got a genuine bird with out any problems. I would advise hands on experience before getting a bird, but as you have one put in practice what's in the books. You my find sitting with the bird and reading the books helps as it gives a feeling of you are with the bird doing whats in the book. Weight is a subject issues all the time. I have a small male who flys at about 1.5.

Your male sounds larger than this and the weight of 1.5 could well kill him. 2.1 sounds a little high to me. Maybe cut the chicks down to 2 a day and see what weight comes off and if he responds a bit more. He may have always baited when approached.

You should ask your friend what was his flying weight to get him going, what was his hunting weight to get him hunting.

Harris hawks at this age should not take to much training to get going again. Get him used to you and seeing you about. If he bates of the bow sit down and let him get back on the bow. Stay low down and make slow movements towards him.

You are a stranger to him and a very large one!!! By sitting down by him he will learn you are no threat and should be your best mate in no time. Back to the weight ask your mate!!

thanks lee for the advice, pretty much what ive already been advised, thanks, after the first 2 replys i got i ended up getting back on phone to lad and we had a good talk about this birds ideal flying weight and it needs to get down to 1.8 and a little lighter for hunting and he also said im feeding him way too much and to cut him down, i was more worried if i was wasting my time at the age the bird is but it seems not, thanks for the positive replys and ile let you's know how i got on and if i should of listened to first 2 replys, lol, thanks again,

thanks lee for the advice, pretty much what ive already been advised, thanks, after the first 2 replys i got i ended up getting back on phone to lad and we had a good talk about this birds ideal flying weight and it needs to get down to 1.8 and a little lighter for hunting and he also said im feeding him way too much and to cut him down, i was more worried if i was wasting my time at the age the bird is but it seems not, thanks for the positive replys and ile let you's know how i got on and if i should of listened to first 2 replys, lol, thanks again,

:victory: Just seen the books you put up Co Chise, there's plenty there for you to go on mate. I can't say its not handy to have somone to guide you through or a so called "Mentor" :whistling:...

when I started there's wasn't another falconer in the vicinity worth his salt to listen too, it was a case of reading books from the Library as and when I could, even spent alot of evening when I was supposed to be asleep for school reading a book with a torch under the bed covers, many time I would fall asleep and had to explain to the old man why his torch was flat :D...

Basically none of it is rocket science mate, as long as the well being of the bird is first and foremost and you understand its weight management you are on the way. the fact its a HH which was flown regular also makes your life alot easier :thumbs:....

Jasp

are you billy casper then from kes jasper65, lol, once again thanks for the advice given, hopefully the bird will be happy with me and once i understand the birds weight fully and get it flying then the bird will have plenty of time out, as i put before im in a position were i can take it to work as i work on a farm with well over 1200 acre, atb

are you billy casper then from kes jasper65, lol, once again thanks for the advice given, hopefully the bird will be happy with me and once i understand the birds weight fully and get it flying then the bird will have plenty of time out, as i put before im in a position were i can take it to work as i work on a farm with well over 1200 acre, atb

:laugh: :laugh: there was probably alot of Billy Caspers about back then mate in the 70's. nearly everyone I knew back then wanted a Kestrel, it was the bird most started with and had alot of enjoyment with :thumbs: .

I think Ken Loach got it bang on showing lads growing up roughly in that generation, I wouldn't want to be a kid these days sitting on pc and games systems all day. I had Jackdaws and all sorts when I was a lad and couldn't wait to get out and about with either a catapault, Air Rifle or just general checking out what birds was nesting in the area as a kid... Great Days never to be repeated :victory:....

Jasp