Whats the key to rat shooting?

Without meaning to sounds too stupid, have you ever shot a rat clean dead? I mean literally flop? Every rat apart from 1 has jump, flipped, span and ran away squealing.. Am i doing something wrong or is this just what they do? My friend told me he shot a couple with a shotgun and they do the same?

With a clean headshot most wil drop some do jump on impact then twitch but that's just the nervous system but if your getting runners that squeal your not getting clean kills but if they run into a nest bleeding the other rats will finish them off pretty quickly as the previous post stated they go mad for fresh blood.

Time to practice your shooting to get your groupings to the size of a five pence piece then you'll guarantee clean kills where they just drop don't worry about the nerve twitches had a big brown rat by a metal sheet that's tail continued boinging for twenty mins after a head shot

Atb

Kev

Without meaning to sounds too stupid, have you ever shot a rat clean dead? I mean literally flop? Every rat apart from 1 has jump, flipped, span and ran away squealing.. Am i doing something wrong or is this just what they do? My friend told me he shot a couple with a shotgun and they do the same?

I have only dropped one absolutely dead in it's tracks, only the forward momentum let it carry on a couple of inches more, they do usually flap about a bit, some like bunnies, just dont seem to know that they are dead! even with what seems to be a perfect shot.

Here is my best shot (with a rifle) on a Rat. Dropped like a good un. It was running towards me on the wall of a pig pen above the feeders.

get_in_boy.jpg

This shows the rodent in situ:

whereitfell.jpg

Like I said, most will run flap and perform gymnastic feats, but this is usually down to the signals from the brain that run up and down the spinal column before they fade to black.

Tony

With a clean headshot most wil drop some do jump on impact then twitch but that's just the nervous system but if your getting runners that squeal your not getting clean kills but if they run into a nest bleeding the other rats will finish them off pretty quickly as the previous post stated they go mad for fresh blood.

Time to practice your shooting to get your groupings to the size of a five pence piece then you'll guarantee clean kills where they just drop don't worry about the nerve twitches had a big brown rat by a metal sheet that's tail continued boinging for twenty mins after a head shot

Atb

Kev

I'm damned if I can read your posts mate cos of your avitar. ooohhh!! :laugh: