how long would you leave em

just out of intrest how long do folk leave there dogs workin quarry before they start to dig to them with this modern gear [bellmens knockers] more so the bellman/flint you just turn em on and wait for the arrow to settle and your half way there

It really depends on how the dog in question works,ie,hard,or sounder,a hard type most lads will try and get a mark without too much delay for obvious reasons,where as a sounder,bayer type well you can leave them as long as you like,a lot also depends on you knowing when the terrier is with the quarry and have settled,jmho.

reason i asked and can you determ how good a dog is if hes only to ground for say half hour ...an hour maybe two... reason being what might be classed as a good dog is only in the ground a sort time with the modern teck what would this good dog do

say six.. eight..ten ..hours or would he be out after say two and half hours avin a nuf callin it a day im just intrested how these good bred dogs are tested for there stayin abaitly and how they coupe with the long hours below ground they used to say drop ya dog in inthe mornin do a morning works then go and dig the dog out knownin he be doin his job

Its a point i used to wonder on a bit mate but over it now .Sometimes knowing the earth your working will allow you to wait the appropriate time as some places i know have very few stop ends and if a dog is stationary mid tube then attempting a dig is a waste of time .Most of the time a hard dog is not used in a deep place ,at least a hard dog as i know it and a dig will start when the dog stops still .A steady bayer of the staying kind is a much more relaxed affair ,allowing for a bit of banter and a cup of coffee even, before the graft starts .Its all comes with getting out and doing it on a regular basis .

Its a point i used to wonder on a bit mate but over it now .Sometimes knowing the earth your working will allow you to wait the appropriate time as some places i know have very few stop ends and if a dog is stationary mid tube then attempting a dig is a waste of time .Most of the time a hard dog is not used in a deep place ,at least a hard dog as i know it and a dig will start when the dog stops still .A steady bayer of the staying kind is a much more relaxed affair ,allowing for a bit of banter and a cup of coffee even, before the graft starts .Its all comes with getting out and doing it on a regular basis .

thanks for the reply be lucky

239 veiws and only one member answered weres these bible basher on ere who detherm the grades of dogs to us begginers :hmm: cos by the sounds of it my ole shitter is up there with the best and i didnt relize it just goes to show dont it :bye:

just out of intrest how long do folk leave there dogs workin quarry before they start to dig to them with this modern gear [bellmens knockers] more so the bellman/flint you just turn em on and wait for the arrow to settle and your half way there

"and your half way there". If only it were that easy.

• Like 1
Guest busterdog

I never posted as it's hard work, my computer is fcked and i have to copy and paste loads of the letters, but here goes anyway.

When i'm starting my youngsters i'll always pick the earths i enter them in. It's usually a place i've dug many times before and i like them to run to depths of 1ft to 4 ft. Just because it's shallow doesn't mean i'll be in a rush to get there, if the pup is working the game instead of fighting it then i'll leave well alone for a good half hour and i'm not one for the digging with two people in a hole going at it like rapists either. I like everything to be natural and steady (no panic and no rush).

The older terriers well they are different, the bitches i keep are usually steady as rocks and i've (in most cases) never got the luxury of time when i'm working them. As soon as i think they've got the game in the pot then i'll give them 10 to 20 minutes and i'm on my way down. Then there's BIG Jim, i'll often leave him working in one earth while i go and dig another. It's not bravado that makes me do it, it's just a quiet confidence. He's a lump of a dog and if as FD says he finds them mid tube then i know not to dig. On the flip side i was "in my ignorance" trying to get Mullet to bay a couple of years back, so i worked her while she was still a little sore. I entered her in an average earth and heard her make contact straight away, she was no more than ten ft from the hole where i'de entered her and only .7 on the B&F. I said to the lad with me to give her an hour on the clock before we dig her. I can't remember the time but i can tell you she never bayed a once and when i finaly decided enough was enough i broke through to her locked on to the middle of it's head.

As FD has already said it's about knowing your dogs and knowing your earths and that bit of confidence in your terrier.

Edited by busterdog
  • Like 1

I usually wait 20 minutes to half an hour before I start whatever the dogs working style. The only exception being young dogs where i think getting down to them quick is very important.

why in the name of god would you leave a dog in ground longer than you need to ???

I never posted as it's hard work, my computer is fcked and i have to copy and paste loads of the letters, but here goes anyway.

When i'm starting my youngsters i'll always pick the earths i enter them in. It's usually a place i've dug many times before and i like them to run to depths of 1ft to 4 ft. Just because it's shallow doesn't mean i'll be in a rush to get there, if the pup is working the game instead of fighting it then i'll leave well alone for a good half hour and i'm not one for the digging with two people in a hole going at it like rapists either. I like everything to be natural and steady (no panic and no rush).

The older terriers well they are different, the bitches i keep are usually steady as rocks and i've (in most cases) never got the luxury of time when i'm working them. As soon as i think they've got the game in the pot then i'll give them 10 to 20 minutes and i'm on my way down. Then there's BIG Jim, i'll often leave him working in one earth while i go and dig another. It's not bravado that makes me do it, it's just a quiet confidence. He's a lump of a dog and if as FD says he finds them mid tube then i know not to dig. On the flip side i was "in my ignorance" trying to get Mullet to bay a couple of years back, so i worked her while she was still a little sore. I entered her in an average earth and heard her make contact straight away, she was no more thaan ten ft from the hole where i'de entered her and only .7 on the B&F. I said to the lad with me to give her an hour on the clock before we dug her. I can't remember the time but i can tell you she never bayed a once and when i finaly decided enough was enough i broke through to her locked on to the middle of it's head.

As FD has already said it's about knowing your dogs and knowing your earths and that bit of confidence in your terrier.

if you knew your dogs and knew your earths you would not be leaving them in longer than is needed.

Guest busterdog

It's my choice T and like i say it's about having confidence. There's no point in flying round like rapists, shovels going everywhere if your not 100% it's in the stop. You''ll just end up with earths that look like the japs have bein.

I usually wait 20 minutes to half an hour before I start whatever the dogs working style. The only exception being young dogs where i think getting down to them quick is very important.

why in the name of god would you leave a dog in ground longer than you need to ???

Well in my situation I have a couple of sensible terriers who need to be left to settle their quarry in a stop end.

I also have a harder terrier who will often lock on mid tube once or twice before getting it in a stop end. Sometimes you dig to him mid tube, but such is life.

If the terrier cant do a few minutes extra to be sure the quarry is settled then I wouldn't like to own it.

Just my opinion, obviously you have yours.

ATB

FTB