hw 90

My son-in-law has a HW 90 fitted with the theoben gas ram system, it had not been used for a number of years but when he recently checked it ( with chrono ) it was down on power 7.2ft/lbs, rifle was taken to local dealer who re-charged the ram, problem is that since this has been done he cannot get any consistant groups on targets ( with any type of pellet ). Would it be viable to replace the gas ram with a spring, or is the only option a new gas- ram? the rifle itself is in excellent condition.

Any advice please .

LD

My son-in-law has a HW 90 fitted with the theoben gas ram system, it had not been used for a number of years but when he recently checked it ( with chrono ) it was down on power 7.2ft/lbs, rifle was taken to local dealer who re-charged the ram, problem is that since this has been done he cannot get any consistant groups on targets ( with any type of pellet ). Would it be viable to replace the gas ram with a spring, or is the only option a new gas- ram? the rifle itself is in excellent condition.

Any advice please .

LD

Hi Lewdan

All HW90's are gas rammed, i've never heard of one being changed to a spring powered and am not sure if it can be done or not :hmm:

Have to tried cleaning the barrel in case there's any rust of crud in there??

What did the recharge take the rifle up to??

It's also possible that it may need running in to get the gun to settle down if it wasn't used much originally :thumbs:

I have a Gamo Stutzen rifle that was awful at first, once i'd shot a tin of pellets (500) through it the gun settled down brilliantly :boogy:

I'm actually buying a hw90 in a few weeks time (can't wait!!!)

Good luck with your gun, i'm sure someone will be along soon to say whether it's possible to convert it to spring :thumbs:

Cheers, John :)

Edited by johnbaz

If the ram's fecked you can take it out and fit a steel spring from the HW80, it uses the existing piston with the ram's inner strut removed. Make sure the ram's fully de-gassed before though otherwise it'll go very badly for you......

As above, make sure all that needs to be tight is. They don't like being left idle for long periods, my 90 once did exactly the same thing after a long lay up. Is the gun dieseling? They can be quite prone to that when running at full pressure and that will naff up it's accuracy big style.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on :victory: