Overseas Blood.

I know that Salukis have been imported and added greatly to the coursing stock in this country, but reading some of the posts on this, and other sites, what about other breeds/types from abroad? Would they have anything to add to our dogs ? What about the Staghounds from America ? We've all seen on here what they can do. And what about the Australian Stags and 'Roo Dogs ? Also, how about Bull Arabs and Catahoulas ? Now that quarrantine is a thing of the past, it's far easier to import a dog; would it be worth importing some of this overseas blood, or are we happy with what we have ?

Cheers.

• Like 1

For people that like deerhound type animals the American stag/coyotehound must be worth considering. I'm sure it's been discussed before and someone suggested a group of lads could band together to import a mated bitch, proven and from good lines and in pup to a proven stud dog.

It sounds like an idea that could work without costing a ridiculous amount.

Edited by Maximus Ferret

I know that Salukis have been imported and added greatly to the coursing stock in this country, but reading some of the posts on this, and other sites, what about other breeds/types from abroad? Would they have anything to add to our dogs ? What about the Staghounds from America ? We've all seen on here what they can do. And what about the Australian Stags and 'Roo Dogs ? Also, how about Bull Arabs and Catahoulas ? Now that quarrantine is a thing of the past, it's far easier to import a dog; would it be worth importing some of this overseas blood, or are we happy with what we have ?

Cheers.

Well, having hunted and travelled a bit all say is based on what I reckon to be the case.

Yes we were unfortunate in the UK in the past, when longdogs were banned and very heavy penalties were inplace for deer poachers. At the time we were, and had been for centuries using longdogs of various strains to catch our native quarry. They came in differing sizes and with rough and smooth coats. And more than likely with stamina to spare and all we could possibly want for our land, which back then included wolves as a common quarry. We then saw our longdogs slip into the hands of the aristocracy, and that is when performance in the field started to go rapidly down hill.

Its true that at the same sort of time these dogs were being shipped out with the colonials in the states australia etc, but we didnt loose out alltogether here, not by a long shot.

If we had pesky coyotes here, I will bet ya, many of our dogs here would take them as well as anything. We have the material for what we need for all our game its just that (sorry but just like your saying Mr Chartpolski) we now find it easier to mix breeds to create a QUICK FIX INSTANT BREED. Our current greyhounds, fastest dogs in the world, but wey too fragile in feet and bone for regular hard hunting. Instead of breeding these faults out and producing (after a lot of work, admittedly, but its not like we dont have time on our hands is it,, our ancestors did) a field version of greyhound with strength, sound feet, robustness and STAMINA. Its just the way we progressed in the UK. We were forced to.

Back to the main question though, could we add anything to improve our stock. Personally, I found the sort I needed right here a long time ago in the 70's, and never looked back. More recently I turned to bull cross' which proved to be more hard bitten than any fast dog out there.

The stags in the USA are good robust longdogs of the sort we once had a great many of, but we also still have dogs of that quality and more.

Sorry for rambling on, but it really depresses me when I hear people wishing they had this and that type of foreign dog, when they could find exactly what they need for the hunting they do right here in the UK.

Dont get me wrong though, I LOVE all breeds and types of running dog, (all working dogs in fact) Ive been all over hunting with great folk and great dogs. Have some amazing memories.

Make the most of what we have, we have everything we need... I honestly think half the problem is the cross -bred way of thinking, FORGET what percentages of what are in your dogs, just breed BEST to the BEST, call em all lurchers and you wont go far wrong.

Merry Christmas everyone :thumbs:

• Like 3

Cheers.

Well, having hunted and travelled a bit all say is based on what I reckon to be the case.

Yes we were unfortunate in the UK in the past, when longdogs were banned and very heavy penalties were inplace for deer poachers. At the time we were, and had been for centuries using longdogs of various strains to catch our native quarry. They came in differing sizes and with rough and smooth coats. And more than likely with stamina to spare and all we could possibly want for our land, which back then included wolves as a common quarry. We then saw our longdogs slip into the hands of the aristocracy, and that is when performance in the field started to go rapidly down hill.

Its true that at the same sort of time these dogs were being shipped out with the colonials in the states australia etc, but we didnt loose out alltogether here, not by a long shot.

If we had pesky coyotes here, I will bet ya, many of our dogs here would take them as well as anything. We have the material for what we need for all our game its just that (sorry but just like your saying Mr Chartpolski) we now find it easier to mix breeds to create a QUICK FIX INSTANT BREED. Our current greyhounds, fastest dogs in the world, but wey too fragile in feet and bone for regular hard hunting. Instead of breeding these faults out and producing (after a lot of work, admittedly, but its not like we dont have time on our hands is it,, our ancestors did) a field version of greyhound with strength, sound feet, robustness and STAMINA. Its just the way we progressed in the UK. We were forced to.

Back to the main question though, could we add anything to improve our stock. Personally, I found the sort I needed right here a long time ago in the 70's, and never looked back. More recently I turned to bull cross' which proved to be more hard bitten than any fast dog out there.

The stags in the USA are good robust longdogs of the sort we once had a great many of, but we also still have dogs of that quality and more.

Sorry for rambling on, but it really depresses me when I hear people wishing they had this and that type of foreign dog, when they could find exactly what they need for the hunting they do right here in the UK.

Dont get me wrong though, I LOVE all breeds and types of running dog, (all working dogs in fact) Ive been all over hunting with great folk and great dogs. Have some amazing memories.

Make the most of what we have, we have everything we need... I honestly think half the problem is the cross -bred way of thinking, FORGET what percentages of what are in your dogs, just breed BEST to the BEST, call em all lurchers and you wont go far wrong.

good read trhat mate

Cheers.

people are always looking for better things

Cheers.

A very good reply mate; but I must question a couple of your comments.

Firstly, I didn't say we need these overseas breeds, I asked if they would add anything to our breeds.

Secondly, I think the Aristocracy have added massively to our working dogs. The Deerhound, the Whippet have been bred by the "rich" in the past and the coursing Greyhound would not have been around if not for the patronage of the Aristocracy, both here and in Ireland.

My post was simply to get some thoughts on overseas blood. I've been lucky enough to have seen these dogs work and was very impressed by them. Of course our quarry is different to theirs, but who knows, an American Coyote Hound may just add a bit new blood to our dogs !

Cheers.

There are lurchers in this country doing there jobs to a high standard, why fix something what is not broke?

Joe, you'll see by my original post, that I wasn't advocating bringing in new blood....simply asking IF it would be worth it. My own opinion is NO, it isn't worth it, as we have, as you say, pleanty of good blood right here, but theres some on here who seem to think the dogs "over the pond" are some sort of mystical beast, that we can't equal ! I think that if people here put more thought into what they are breeding, and only used good stock, there wouldn't be so mich dross about.

Cheers.

Cheers.

theres plenty of shit over the water too if you know the right folks and know what your looking for id say it would be the right thing to do