Scoping an FAC springer - coping with recoil

I have a Cometa Fusion in .177 flavour which puts out almost 16fpe. (In SA where I live an FAC is not required). It's a superbly accurate spring air rifle that can print sub 1/2" groups at 30 yards. Only drawback is the effect of the recoil on scopes; it knackers them to give a technical explanation. So far it's wrecked (1) a Nikko 3 - 7 x 32 AO and (2) a Hawke Airmax 4 -12 x 42 AO SR6. Both scopes were brand new and fortunately I have been able to claim under the warranties, but I can't recover cost of postage to the service centre so I'm out of pocket.

So far I have tried using conventional two-piece and one-piece mounts, using a stop pin to prevent the rings sliding backwards on the dovetail. This much has been successful, but I'm finding that the scope gradually creeps backwards in the rings so that I have to take it off and re-zero, a right PIA!

There seems to be no info available, certainly in the sources I've looked at on-line, concerning how tight you can go when nipping up the scope in the rings. What I was told when I started using a scope is only to apply force to the shorter 'L' of an Allen key so as to avoid crimping the tube. This has been OK with pcps and sub-12fpe springers but it's not working with the Fusion.

I have thoroughly degreased the rings and the body of the scope but the tube still inches its way backwards. In near desperation I have tightened the rings just a bit more and I'm waiting to see if that does the trick.

I'd be interested to know, if any of you guys have FAC springers, how you stop the scope from shifting backwards. If I have no success now I think I will order a Sportsmatch Dampa Mount, expensive as they are.

If that doesn't work I shall be tempted to remove a few coils from the spring, to tame the beast...

Advice always appreciated,

Chris

16 ft lbs should not touch your scope must be rough inside.is there no scope to put some sort of damper spring behind the valve to stop the piston hitting so hard ,could be wrong but thats what tx and weirhauch do .could be bad luck with scopes.splash out on a leupold second hand low mag there warranty is tops.or see the light and buy a pcp :D

Thanks guys, @ Andy - good idea double-sided carpet tape but it will have to wait until my next visit to the UK as it doesn't look like it's sold over here. (Not many homes have fitted carpets.)

I'm pretty sick about the gun wrecking scopes and I think it has just done for another; the POI keeps changing from shot to shot . The scope is a Burris, pretty expensive, with a good rep for toughness. Fortunately it does have a 'forever' warranty, but the basic point is that it should be able to stand the shock of the recoil from a 16fpe spring airgun. When I first got the gun I stripped it down and re-lubed with the proper Maccari lubes. The piston seal was in as new condition when I put it back together and the gun hasn't been dry fired, so I think the seal is still functioning OK. If so it should cushion the impact of the piston when it reaches the end of its travel. I will have another bit of target practice before 'writing off' the scope. I know it sounds unbelievable but maybe my shooting was a bit off :whistling:

Later,

Chris