How to handle heavy recoil?

Hi,

I'm not sure where to post this ...

I shoot heavy 42 gram US BB 12-ga 2.75 semi-magnum out of a Remington 870 pump action.

Very nasty recoil, but I can shoot accurately.

However shooting a 3 inch 50 gram BB magnum out of a Browning A5 recoil operated semi-auto leads to very variable results ... the very busy action plus the recoil are very disconcerting! (I'm not flinching or scared of the recoil - it's just that my accuracy has disappeared!)

So how do YOU deal with heavy recoil? Have I perhaps reached my 'natural limit' with regard to recoil?

Remmy 870 takes no prisoners with slug or heavy game loads, because it is a light gun.

S/A should be much better.

You know the recoil is coming so keep the stock firm, and lock your cheek to the stock, so the gun and your head recoil as one.

Then all you have to do is concentrate on the shot, and let the recoil, come as a suprise!

I occasionly fire .458, with 510grain bullets! Now that is horrible!

Have you patterned you gun to make sure its not the pattern thats blowing.

Have you tried the 42g shells through the semi auto?

Do both guns fit the same so you are seeing the same sight picture?

Do both guns handle the same? ( same balance or does 1 have a lighter or heavier muzzle)

With the 42g semi magnum BOTH guns fire & aim perfectly & identically. I can knock over metal plates almost every time at 65 yards!

The semi-auto with 3 inch mags seems to fire 1ft high at say 50 yards ... and the pattern seems a lot wider & more ragged ... but I need to confirm that.

Err .. what is a pattern 'blowing'? Of course, I get your drift ... but can the pattern go nuts or something?

Edited by ChickenFarmer

heavier loads create higher pressures which could distort the lead pattern ending with only some or none of the shot being on target. Try shooting at a large sheet like a 8ft x 4ft plywood sheet painted white with 1 shell , look at the lead pattern on the sheet. Then repaint and shoot with the other shell and compare the 2 patterns

>> If thats right, it's not ya gun/carts that need checking but ya fecking eyes fella! LOL

Ha ha!

Seriously, it's all the place .. certainly several feet too high.

I suppose I could be holding the gun wrong so it's 'rolling' on the shoulder or something.

Or maybe the friction rings are set up wrong.

Anyway, once I've done the recommended pattern test I'll know more!

PS The Browning A5 3" Magnum only cost me £125 so maybe that tells you something!

Edited by ChickenFarmer
  • 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I set up a large paper target to check the patterns ... I used paper tablecloth draped over a sheep hurdle standing on end!

Anyway this is what I have found.

My US BB 42 gram 2.75" semi-magnum give a very tight on-target pattern in any gun I've tried them with.

The 3" magnum 50 gram UK BB give a 'tidy' pattern - but it's twice as wide ... and is indeed 3 or 4 feet higher than where I am aiming ... and a friend experienced the same problem.

I suspect that I have simply found - and got used to - a well-performing and well-matched cartridge in the 42 gram semi-magnum.

Luckily a couple of cases are on the way to me from Italy so no more 3" magnums for me.