Our 50th Irish game and country fair

Albert if you can put classes on for whippet dog pup and whippet bitch pup with only five or six in every class then why have the lurcher pups all into together same with the terriers last year there was 27 lurcher pups and 20 terrier pups and only 11 whippets all the other shows have classes for dogs and bitches surely the game fair can do the same ? And come inline with all the other shows north and south ????

Dessie,

Good suggestion and for Ballywalter we will split the puppy classes for Terriers & Lurchers AND to celebrate our 'Golden Year' celebrating our 50th fair at Shanes Castle we will split most of the classes for terriers and lurchers.

Best wishes to you for Christmas and a successful year in 2012.

Albert

• Like 1

free entry would be nice albert :thumbs:

Well we are trying out best on admission prices with everyone purchasing a ticket for Ballywalter getting a half price admission voucher for Shanes AND a half price admission voucher for Birr. All our events have an entry fee with the organising club taking the entry fees and rather than subsidise entry fees I would like to have even better prizes at Shanes this year. However if you were to volunteer to organise an event - you would of course get free admission and the entry fees!

Albertj

Albert, I'd be willing to help with a lurcher obedience trial at Shane's Castle. I've helped out with the beagle pen at Shane's Castle numerous times over the last few years (niece to the Browns). I'm very new to lurchers myself though (only got my first last year and she's still a pup) so hopefully someone with more experience will step up to actually take charge!

What type of competition would people like to see? Basic sit/stay/heel/recall? Retrieves of dummies with delivery to hand? What about retrieving over obstacles?

Ok, this is the sort of thing I was thinking for a retrieve over obstacles

2ntaf49.jpg

An ideal run: Lurcher is sitting by the handler at O. A dummy is thrown to X. Handler releases lurcher, who clears the sheep hurdles, lifts the dummy and immediately returns it to hand, again over the sheep hurdles.

I'd be happy to supply weighted rabbit fur or canvas dummies for anything that does take place :)

2ntaf49.jpg

An ideal run: Lurcher is sitting by the handler at O. A dummy is thrown to X. Handler releases lurcher, who clears the sheep hurdles, lifts the dummy and immediately returns it to hand, again over the sheep hurdles.

I'd be happy to supply weighted rabbit fur or canvas dummies for anything that does take place :)

2ntaf49.jpg

Thanks for your offer of assistance. This would be similar to the gundog scurry and we would be happy to lay a fenced area aside for it. Would be good to extend it to also testing for heelwork and sit/stay etc. Also if we can get half a dozen or more dogs would make a decent arena display.

Now any other offers of help and further ideas on this?

AlbertJ

• Like 1

not sure if i will be going to Birr this year, was not impressed with it the year before last, with all the travellers that hasselled me and my wife with our dogs!

at one point i thought they would take our dogs off us! :(

heard last years event was better, prehaps i might go, not sure though?

not sure if i will be going to Birr this year, was not impressed with it the year before last, with all the travellers that hasselled me and my wife with our dogs!

Blueone,

I understand there were some problems in 2010 at Birr with some persons, who it was claimed were travellers, hassling a few people about selling their dogs. This hassle was verbal only and not at all physical. Unfortunately it was not reported to our stewards, our security or the garda present or indeed us as organisers, until after the event. So obviously we could do nothing about it. It was not widespread at the fair and appeared to be limited to a small number of incidents around the terrier & lurcher ring. In fact the Garda report on the 2011 fair claimed no trouble whatsover.

However as I said at the time, had it been reported to us it would have been dealt with as we organise events which are professionally organised and largely if not entirely trouble free and we have zero tolerance of trouble makers or potential trouble makers. I made it clear that there would not be a re-occurence in 2011 and that the terrier and lurcher area would be like the rest of the fair - an area where enthusiasts could enjoy some of the best events on the island without any hassle. In 2011 we provided full stewarding of the area plus a security presence and I personally gave it considerable 'passing presence'. There were absolutely no incidents whatsoever and as anyone who was present can confirm the terrier & lurcher events went well as did the overall fair and both enhanced their reputation.

In 2011 the Roscrea Club ran the racing with the Glenbank club the showing. In 2012 the Roscrea Club will run both racing and showing while the Glenbank Club will be responsible for running main area displays.

Albertj

• Like 1

Would have to agree Graham, Birr was a brilliant show, well run and well organised,and trouble free,and may I add most enjoyable. Looking forward to Ballywalter, Shanes Castle and Birr this year.Albert, you are a man of your word,and a true gentleman, and have the nack of making it all happen on the day.

• Like 1

Blueone,

I understand there were some problems in 2010 at Birr with some persons, who it was claimed were travellers, hassling a few people about selling their dogs. This hassle was verbal only and not at all physical. Unfortunately it was not reported to our stewards, our security or the garda present or indeed us as organisers, until after the event. So obviously we could do nothing about it. It was not widespread at the fair and appeared to be limited to a small number of incidents around the terrier & lurcher ring. In fact the Garda report on the 2011 fair claimed no trouble whatsover.

However as I said at the time, had it been reported to us it would have been dealt with as we organise events which are professionally organised and largely if not entirely trouble free and we have zero tolerance of trouble makers or potential trouble makers. I made it clear that there would not be a re-occurence in 2011 and that the terrier and lurcher area would be like the rest of the fair - an area where enthusiasts could enjoy some of the best events on the island without any hassle. In 2011 we provided full stewarding of the area plus a security presence and I personally gave it considerable 'passing presence'. There were absolutely no incidents whatsoever and as anyone who was present can confirm the terrier & lurcher events went well as did the overall fair and both enhanced their reputation.

In 2011 the Roscrea Club ran the racing with the Glenbank club the showing. In 2012 the Roscrea Club will run both racing and showing while the Glenbank Club will be responsible for running main area displays.

Albertj

Thanks for that Albert :thumbs: , i will see if i can make it, how much is it to get in this year?

Blueone,

Albertj

Thanks for that Albert :thumbs: , i will see if i can make it, how much is it to get in this year?

Hope to see you there. Admission will be €15 - parking & programme FREE. But we will have several offers during the year.

We had a very attractive Christmas offer running to the end of December but because a number of people missed it we are extending the deadline to the 31st January BUT this will be a firm deadline.

This gives a ticket to Ballywalter plus one to Shanes OR Birr plus a year's subscription to the magazine all for £15/€20. If interested mail me to irishgamefair@btinternet.com