Jumping

It,s strange , but the action of jumping doesn,t come natural to some dogs , they,v got to learn the action of the jump first , and I don,t mean the scramble jump up a solid barrier, but hurdling some thing in it,s stride . the earlier you can teach this using low barriers on soft ground the easier it will be totake it up to decent hieghts later on .

I Start with a low hurdle in the Garden about a foot high.I incoporate jumping Training with Retrieving as i Find the Pup does not Realise the Hurdle is there as it is Focused on getting the Dummy.I Have had a 6 month old Pup jumping 4ft using this Method.But don't rush the pup.Low and Slow is the Best.

I hunted in Northumberland and the Scottish borders mainly, so hving dogs that jumped are a necesity, not jumping no hares we used to say...I always start mine 8weeks onwards, just step over hieghts at this age, six to eight inches so that the pup is already learning about obsticles at this young age, as the pup gets older, so the hieght is raised, then varied obsticles, I also always blend retrieving training into early jumping training, the dog will enjoy both and youe teaching two things at the same time, I start this off with fur dummies, balls, and progress later onto rabbit carcases (but in the early stages they can just knick off with these) eggs, tin cans anything, I need a dog that can jump, and a compitent carryier.

Lurcher carrying my supper

img029.jpg

Deerhound bitch jumping five bar gate.

BECKYJUMPING1A.jpg

Edited by Romany
  • Like 1

My lurcher wouldn't jump fences or gates when I first got him. But he would jump Walls with ease So I knew he had It in him and it was just his confidence. Just keep saying a command over and over again. Eventually they will jump over. Give them a chew or something. Won't take long that way! Mine just had a nasty accident with a barbed wire fence the other night, ripping the skin on his neck. No running for a week or two :( Atb pal

• 2 weeks later...