Any Whippet Owners on here

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone work whippets on here? I have a 2yr old bitch who is becoming quite a good little rabbit dog. She`s the first full whip I`ve owned , always had lurchers previously .

A friend of mine has a blue laguna whippet dog that he used for rabbiting. Really good dog, o.k on the lamp as well. But, when i went to north Wales last year i saw some Laguna whippet's. Very nice. Big strong and doing foxes as well. Never rated whippets until then, thought they were bred to shiver if it was either raining or they were scared. :rolleyes:

best rabbit dog I`ve ever seen was a black Laguna whippet. Fairly big dog too for a whippet about 22 in . It was a natural catch dog day and night. Had loads of stamina too, it was worked hard on the bunnies up on the open fells . Wasn`t too bad on the hares either. The guy who owned it sold it because he reckoned it was too small . :cry: . I didn`t get chance to take it on either. Next dog for me will be a whippet from the Laguna/Nimrodel lines.

Guest reload

Can I ask a question, why do people always favour Laguna dogs?? Is it on the name alone? The reason I ask is because it is the only prefix you see in the hunting press when whippets are for sale? And they seem to be of lines out of that kennel 20 years ago!! Not modern Laguna dogs which are still doing a bit in the field pre ban.

Guest WHEELARCH

Laguna is probably the most famous coursing bloodline, but there are plenty of other kennels that have proved that they produce equally good coursing/working dogs. Such as Nimrodel (as you've mentioned), Chyton, Terichline as well as others!

At the end of the day more people have heard of Laguna and they can charge more as its more famous but there are plenty of other equally good dogs from other breeding out there!

Guest MikefromHereford

Own 2 whippets 21 1/2 and 22", only 10 months old, both blue, make a tidy looking pair. Very keen and quick.The quarry we go out for is rabbits and they do a good job.

Its fecking demented and would rather chase a rabbit to ground and dig it out than catch it running. Untrainable, unconditionable, unhinged untrustworthy round anything it can nick and stick in its kennel but feck me it can kill rats.

image0033os.jpg

image0163zj.jpg

Ill let Tim tell you about his if he wants to but it was a lovely dog.

gnipper

i had a laguna whippet,similar lines to gnippers.blue 21 1/2 inches really looked the part.heavily muscled and well trained .couldnt catch a rabbit in a telephone box :D .not slagging whippets off or the laguna strain in general but the one i had was no good for what i wanted it for which was catching stuff.i put a lot of time into that dog and was sad to see it go.good luck to the boys and girls out there with there whippets,i am sure there are plenty of good uns out there but the one i had just didnt have that do or die instinct in it :(

my mate has a young bitch,well bred ,out of the sooty sam line,he slipped it with another dog on a fallow stag,an it didnt half get stuck in,although he knows it would never do it single handed,but i think she would try,she may pull a roe if she has the power, ,only time will tell,she is a strong little bitch,nothing like any whippet ive ever seen,not that tall but built like a little staff

theres a website with some laguna whippets on I think and theres pics on there with foxes they have taken. have many hadf any experience of them being any good on foxes.