How to stay warm in the winter!

Hi guys,

I spend lots of my time outside shooting, paragliding or doing a bit of bushcraft. So, I just wanted to tell you about some new layers I've bought for an upcoming shooting trip to subzero Croatia. I've tried all sorts of synthetic base layers in the past and now have a drawer full of smelly clothes (maybe that says more about my levels of personal hygiene or how bad at washing SWMBO is)

None compare to the warm, soft touch of merino wool. So, if any of you are looking for something to keep you warm over the winter then merino is the way to go (forget the fully synthetic stuff). There are lots of companies selling (or claiming to) merino wool. But as with everything, manufacturing is moving over to China to keep costs down blah blah blah. Generally, this then affects quality. If you have an eco-conscience, there are companies out there selling 100% merino wool, made 100% in New Zealand. The costs are competitive but genuine merino is a bit more expensive!

I spent yesterday morning in a ditch duck shooting with just a jumper and fleece over the merino - I was warm and snug. We then went straight to a pheasant shoot for some beating. 6 hours standing in a field, trawling through cover and woods... still toasty. However, my feet turned to ice (so I just ordered some of thick merino socks).

The above obviously fits into the whole '3 layers' system. You wear a base layer for wicking, then a mid layer for insulation...and the final layer for protection.

As an example;

• Layer 1: Thin merino wool (or synthetic) layer - top and bottoms. This fits snug to the body and 'wicks' away any moisture buildup to the mid layer.
  • Layer 2: Warm jumper and trousers (can be more than one). This is what keep you warm by trapping the hot air between your body and the base layer.
  • Layer 3: The outer layer (or shell) protects you from the external elements. Ideally, it should also be breathable so that the moisture can escape (wicked from base).

Remember: If you are going to do something arduos and are likely to sweat, it's best you remove a layer. When you stop and start to cool down, add that layer back.

Edited by huffhuff

Hi, they are not that cheap, there are many available in the UK cheaper, thanks for the post though.

Hiya,

Sounds like a sales pitch I know, but that isn't the case. I was trying to make people aware of the benefits of merino over synthetic base layers - that's all.

There may well be some cheaper in the UK, but they will either not be genuine NZ merino, they will be packed with synthetics and can almost guarantee manufactured with no social or environmental conscience :)

What brands did you have in mind? I fully appreciate some people don't give a monkies how there kit was made or where it even comes from...as long as it's cheap. But ultimately, you get what you pay for.

Horses for courses :)

Hi, they are not that cheap, there are many available in the UK cheaper, thanks for the post though.

Hiya,

Sounds like a sales pitch I know, but that isn't the case. I was trying to make people aware of the benefits of merino over synthetic base layers - that's all.

There may well be some cheaper in the UK, but they will either not be genuine NZ merino, they will be packed with synthetics and can almost guarantee manufactured with no social or environmental conscience :)

What brands did you have in mind? I fully appreciate some people don't give a monkies how there kit was made or where it even comes from...as long as it's cheap. But ultimately, you get what you pay for.

Horses for courses :)

You can do like the rest of the advertisers do and by ad space :thumbs: It stands out well and you don't have to keep bumping it for people to see it :laugh:

• Like 1
drawer full of smelly clothes, hellie hansen...........berghaus...........north face

Totally disagree with this and I notice you didnt name these brands in the same sales-pitch on that site :laugh: I have HH,Berghaus,and North Face base-layers,jackets and trousers,also got a merino wool jumper,not one item is whiffy and your warm as toasted-bread in some of the gear :laugh:

• Like 2

drawer full of smelly clothes, hellie hansen...........berghaus...........north face

Totally disagree with this and I notice you didnt name these brands in the same sales-pitch on that site :laugh: I have HH,Berghaus,and North Face base-layers,jackets and trousers,also got a merino wool jumper,not one item is whiffy and your warm as toasted-bread in some of the gear :laugh:

Well come smell my drawers ;) Each and every one of my fully synthetic layers smells within about 1/2 hour of putting it on. Google it - I am not the only one!

You can do like the rest of the advertisers do and by ad space :thumbs: It stands out well and you don't have to keep bumping it for people to see it :laugh:

I have no connection to chocolate fish other than being a happy customer. I am not selling anything so why would I buy advertising space?

I thought that's what this place was about? Sharing your experiences with others. Obviously not. I will take out all references to any manufacturer so to be impartial :)

Well come smell my drawers

Thanks for the offer,but I am in a relationship :icon_eek:

Google it - I am not the only one!

I dont have to google,I have HH and Berghaus kit,no complaints and all are fine.

Fair enough, everybody is different I guess. But, synthetic/poly layers will smell more than wool. Fact.

Have a good evening :)

Well come smell my drawers ;) Each and every one of my fully synthetic layers smells within about 1/2 hour of putting it on. Google it - I am not the only one!

I have no connection to chocolate fish other than being a happy customer. I am not selling anything so why would I buy advertising space?

I thought that's what this place was about? Sharing your experiences with others. Obviously not. I will take out all references to any manufacturer so to be impartial :)

The link you gave was to the shop in your signature, you must be a very happy customer

The link you gave was to the shop in your signature, you must be a very happy customer

No, the link was actually to a review on my personal blog. I do not sell anything, neither do I have a shop. Although to be fair, there was a link to the company in the blog (understandably).

But whatever. I won't bother again so don't worry :)

never mind I found out :thumbs: this is from their website

SPONSORSHIP

We currently support a number of charities directly, the main ones being the Red Cross, RNLI, Cancer Research UK and The Dog's Trust. We therefore no longer offer sponsorship in the form of free clothing to individuals who have not been customers of ours prior to the request.

In certain circumstances we may consider offering gear at a discount, but in order to be considered, in return for discount, we expect a link on the parent organisation's website, e.g. United Kingdom Antarctic Heritage Trust, plus reviews of our clothing on appropriate blogs and forums, and photos we may use on our website.

If an Organisation link is not possible, we may consider offering discount to individuals who can meet other on-line publicity requirements.

Please note that our sponsorship for 2011-12 is now fully committed. We continue to sponsor the UKAHT Port Lockroy team.

Requests for sample clothing for Review:

Almost all of our reviews are published on blogs, or posted on forums by customers who have bought from us. We do not, unless there are special circumstances, supply free items for review on personal blogs.

If items are requested for review in publications, we require confirmation from the site's editor/webmaster that a relevant detailed review will appear within a pre-determined time. Should a review not appear as agreed, we will invoice for the clothing supplied.

post-66833-0-69846400-1322590939.jpg

• Like 2