Harris breeder

MickyB

Just looking to see whos breeding harris' next year so i can get my name down. i know theres loads about but not reared as id like.

What im after is a parent reared (probably male) in an open sided chamber where ideally dogs, kids, people, generally lots of "traffic" pass by daily.

Raised on a variety of food and obvously its critical that both parents are not only good workers but from good lines that can be traced back a few generations.

Now i know it might be asking for a lot but i'v put a lot of effort into researching my chosen bird's natural behavior and its rise in falconry both on paper and in the field over the last years and still have another course to go on. It seems to me that its the genes and rearing that gives the bird the best and stable start as a hunter as this is the breeders part i have no say in what happens but this is why im looking now for someone who can deliver such a bird as its my first bird i want everything to be as right as possible i just have to start building and buying which im starting now.

Any help or advise would be brilliant plus opinions and views on how you would like a harris hawk raised experienced or otherwise.

Thanks Micky :thumbs:

Edited by MickyB

its critical that both parents are not only good workers but from good lines that can be traced back a few generations.

You will be sadly mistaken if you believe anything that anyone tell's you about hunting line's...be it from the best breeder in the world or the shittest you will still get a hawk capable of killing if you know what you are doing. :thumbs:

Edited by Millet
  • Like 1

its critical that both parents are not only good workers but from good lines that can be traced back a few generations.

You will be sadly mistaken if you believe anything that anyone tell's you about hunting line's...be it from the best breeder in the world or the shittest you will still get a hawk capable of killing if you know what you are doing. :thumbs:

i think we will have to agree to disagree on that one and i'll tell you my reasons, i dont denie any hawk is capable of killing but so is any dog or ferret or any working animal but ask anyone who knows ,you cant really beleive that one bird is same as the other, genetics has a major part to play, any breeder, any real breeder of anything will argue that the best lines are created by the best animals, to get the best you breed best to best not good to mediocre, so reproducing good genes. Which is why i asked for a breeder that will produce this kind of bird for me to make the best start for both of us the rest is up to me.

Micky :thumbs:

My bird was raised in a fully enclosed pen and was wild as tit's when pulled out..after he was manned he is now used to anything you throw at him apart from elephant's..but to be honest he dont see many of them.

i do know of a few that are breeding harris hawks in open fronted pens ,, but the do scream like fek , but as you say would be used to every thing , but then my young in a enclosed pen hear the dogs poeple cars kids and all sorts and they come out steady ,,

would that be a food association as the person would regulary be seen bringing food through an open-sided chamber? odd screams are not really an issue to me as they are naturally vocal birds and constant screaming seems to be to much food association with the handler, like i said it will be my first bird so possibly looked into it a bit to much :icon_redface:.

But would deffinatly want a bird from real hunting lines not just two birds chucked to breed personally i think they should be proven and be from proven lines too.

Edited by MickyB

My bird was raised in a fully enclosed pen and was wild as tit's when pulled out..after he was manned he is now used to anything you throw at him apart from elephant's..but to be honest he dont see many of them.

you want to be carefull with them mate nearly got trampeled the other day when my ferret vacated one from a warren! :icon_eek::laugh:

Edited by MickyB

i do know of a few that are breeding harris hawks in open fronted pens ,, but the do scream like fek , but as you say would be used to every thing , but then my young in a enclosed pen hear the dogs poeple cars kids and all sorts and they come out steady ,,

would that be a food association as the person would regulary be seen bringing food through an open-sided chamber? odd screams are not really an issue to me as they are naturally vocal birds and constant screaming seems to be to much food association with the handler, like i said it will be my first bird so possibly looked into it a bit to much :icon_redface:.

But would deffinatly want a bird from real hunting lines not just two birds chucked to breed personally i think they should be proven and be from proven lines too.

yes harris hawks do chat toeach other ,, as they hunt together ,, as a breeder for over 17 years i would never breed harris hawks in a open pen,, i used to hunt my male and female in the winter and breed in summer and the younf do follow the parents in hunting trates, my female is 16 now so she just has a quite life now .its not just food they catch on to even if you hide the food they are so switched on they know

yes harris hawks do chat toeach other ,, as they hunt together ,, as a breeder for over 17 years i would never breed harris hawks in a open pen,, i used to hunt my male and female in the winter and breed in summer and the younf do follow the parents in hunting trates, my female is 16 now so she just has a quite life now .its not just food they catch on to even if you hide the food they are so switched on they know

yes they do seem to be clever almost to clever for their own good or ours! so is their a specific reason for using a closed pen? i just, probably wrongly assumed it was to hide the world from them until they were ready to be released, my intial research on breeding (which i know very little about) or picking a breeder was to start with a bird tame as possible by it seeing things regular from being born but i suppose thats what manning is for.