back injury

shamus

one of my bitch ferrets has hurt her back quite badly, not sure how. I was working her last sunday and she seemed fine, but i noticed she was'nt right on wednesday. I took her to the vets and he insisted that it was kidney failure, pts the only option. After arguing with him that i did;nt think it was he was pokin around her back and she went mental, thus bad back.

She has limited use of her back end, but is not right. He suggested keeping her confined on her own,which i have done.

Has anyone had anything similair and what was the outcome?

She is eating ok and seems bright enough, she was a stray so i don't know her age but i don't think she is old.

one of my bitch ferrets has hurt her back quite badly, not sure how. I was working her last sunday and she seemed fine, but i noticed she was'nt right on wednesday. I took her to the vets and he insisted that it was kidney failure, pts the only option. After arguing with him that i did;nt think it was he was pokin around her back and she went mental, thus bad back.

She has limited use of her back end, but is not right. He suggested keeping her confined on her own,which i have done.

Has anyone had anything similair and what was the outcome?

She is eating ok and seems bright enough, she was a stray so i don't know her age but i don't think she is old.

mine hurt here back and had very limited movement took her to the vets they gave her anti inflamitries took it with ferretone and a liquid supliment called collo-cal d liquid calcium took about 6 weeks to get her back to normal

Unless appropriate diagnostics are used, there is no way of telling the outcome/prognosis. Regardless, if the problem has been of a traumatic nature, there could be a chance of a full recovery, marked improvement would be noticed within 6-8 weeks. Anti-inflammatories/painkillers and maybe a course of precautionary anti-biotics would give the ferret the best chance of improvement. Isolation will prevent rough play from other ferrets during the expected recovery period.

Spinal related injuries in ferrets don't usually hold the best prognosis, but without knowing what the actual problem is makes the situation very vague. Might be best to visit a ferret knowledgable vet/exoctics vet if you can. Atb.

Edited by ferret100
  • 2 weeks later...

just an update, she is recovering, albeit slowly, but she has use of her back legs again, not perfect but getting there. I kept her away from the other ferrets and have been bringing her in at night. I have to admit that i was not hopeful at the start but have been pleasantly surprised by her progress.

just an update, she is recovering, albeit slowly, but she has use of her back legs again, not perfect but getting there. I kept her away from the other ferrets and have been bringing her in at night. I have to admit that i was not hopeful at the start but have been pleasantly surprised by her progress.

Give her some hydro aka swimming around in a tepid bathtub. Minute or so at a time if she can cope, otherwise secs and build it up to mins. This will help prevent atrophy and speed her recovery. Swimming is non-concussional and great for muscle recovery. Just dry her off with a towel/hairdryer and keep her warm afterwards. Really glad she is recovering, great news. Atb.

Ijm sorry if i'm the first to come in with this idea but if it wasn't a worker to begin with and is in pain, give it a good knock on the head. It cures all ales and you can put your head into a good one. I know all the lady bunny huggers on this section will attack me for it but you put £10 into it and hope for more as you feed it but if it starts eating more than it gets you think different. end of. Don't pour more money into something that will turn out as a pet. Offer the poor bugger off to one of the lasses on here to spend there money on it :thumbs:

thanks for the replys everyone,apologies bunnybasher, i did see the spelling in the quote but figured the whinions would'nt notice! He has polluted the lurcher section with his crap and i was furious at it creeping into the ferret section, cookiemonster, don't really know her age as she was a stray but i dont think she is very old. I still tend to think it was an injury sustained ferreting, she is small but very determined so i wonder if a rabbit kick did it?

She is coming on daily and i have ordered some ofthe stuff barry lurcher mentioned, cant do any harm.