Clingy lurcher

Hi I got my first lurcher who's a year old now, had her since 8 weeks. Her farther is a deerhound greyhound x collie greyhound, mother is collie greyhound x beddy whippet, Its my first lurcher so I'm new to this!

Ive took her out with my friends dog and she's had 15 or 20 rabbits on lamp now and brings them straight back to me with no marks on them, so guess she's doing that ok,

Problem is when she's out during the day she won't leave my side, she will chase things if my border terrier puts them up, but doesn't seem to want to get stuck in and hunt things out herself, as I said I'm very new to this so any advice would be welcome to help me get started thanks,

Hi I got my first lurcher who's a year old now, had her since 8 weeks. Her farther is a deerhound greyhound x collie greyhound, mother is collie greyhound x beddy whippet, Its my first lurcher so I'm new to this!

Ive took her out with my friends dog and she's had 15 or 20 rabbits on lamp now and brings them straight back to me with no marks on them, so guess she's doing that ok,

Problem is when she's out during the day she won't leave my side, she will chase things if my border terrier puts them up, but doesn't seem to want to get stuck in and hunt things out herself, as I said I'm very new to this so any advice would be welcome to help me get started thanks,

sounds good keep it at it

Ive got a bitch exactly the same she WILL hunt on with other dogs during the day though

but if im out over the fields for a walk shes always at my ankles :thumbs:

that's exactly what she does, I bump into a guy sometimes near where I walk her he has 3 lurchers and she gets involved with his dogs hunting on, just when she's on her own she's clingy, but sounds like it's maybe not a bad thing! She's getting rabbits so that's a bonus..

I've had dogs that do this, and there's not much you can do about it in my opinion. Take it ferreting and bushing and even try getting in patches of cover yourself and egging the dog on a bit. Some dogs love to hunt up, others are not that way inclined. I used to have a small deer/wippet/grey who was amazing on the lamp but daytime would stick to your heel.

Iv got a bitch the same pal if I walk it round my normal walk during the day it wont hardly leave my side.

If I go were there is game it will hunt during the day with other dogs.

The penny will prob drop and it will catch on to follow the bushing dogs.

Just be glad its by your side instead of 2 or 2 fields away lol :boogy:

I bet you a penny to a pinch of shit its the pastoral blood way back in it, reason i know is cos i got one the same, 7 years old now, other dog off lapping around the fields (during daylight hours that is), and hes by me, if i go out on the quad, the same, its just the pastoral instinct coming to the fore.

I quite like it myself in a dog, The ammount of times that I have been out on the hill and one is off casting about, and this one is near to me, and i have inadvertantly kicked up some game, he's nailed it over and over.

I wouldn't swap him for the world, or his ways. If yours is doing the biz as far as catching etc goes, enjoy your dog, because your dog obviously enjoys you.

Regards

• Like 1

thanks for the positive replys! ive been on with my lurcher and border x patterdale terrier today ferriting with a friend, its the first time ive took my dogs out with ferrits, and what a difference ive noticed in them. there was 4 dogs in total my lurcher was marking sets, chaising bolters and had a brief look about herself in the long grass and put a rabbit up ran it and caught it! she must know ive been talking about her on here haha..