Stock staining

Hey everyone,

Going to be striping down my HW77K stock very soon and rather than re-staining ( i think the stock is beech) I think I would like to add a bit of colour! :tongue2:

Thinking about something like the Hunter Green of the Air Arms or maybe a hint of red??!!?!

Anyway getting to the point, can it be done, how easy is it to do etc..

I thought maybe adding some sort of dye to the oil before rubbing into the stock or rubbing a colour dye into the stock before the oil?!??!

Thoughts anyone??

Cheers

Andy

Hey everyone,

Going to be striping down my HW77K stock very soon and rather than re-staining ( i think the stock is beech) I think I would like to add a bit of colour! :tongue2:

Thinking about something like the Hunter Green of the Air Arms or maybe a hint of red??!!?!

Anyway getting to the point, can it be done, how easy is it to do etc..

I thought maybe adding some sort of dye to the oil before rubbing into the stock or rubbing a colour dye into the stock before the oil?!??!

Thoughts anyone??

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy.

A good stain to use is "Rustins solvent based", apply with a lint free rag.

Before you start to apply the stain, dip a lint free rag in turps/whitespirit and give the stock a good wipe over, so you dampen the surface, then apply your stain. ( Doing this will prevent streaks )

When you achieve the shade you want, palm your oil into the stock, generating as much heat as you can with your hand.

You wont achieve a good depth of colour by adding the stain to the oil mate, so best to stain, let it dry completely, then oil.

Not difficult to do, you could always practice on another piece of wood before you tackle the stock.

On the final rubbing down of the stock, use a very fine wet n dry paper, and make sure you get rid of any surface scratches buddy, before you start any staining.

ATB.

Bill.

Edited by Sweeney-Todd

Cheers Bill, sound advise there mate and very appreciated. I do have another old API ?? Sniper that definately could do with some TLC so may give it a whirl on there first.

Doing the same mate but dont go red lol :icon_eek:

and the mo rubbing down and rubbing down lol and the same HW77k well yours and mine lol :hmm:

sounds like there could be a little contest starting up here then Webby...... looking forward to seeing yours buddy!

Thanks for the replys.

ATB, Andy

Use tru oil mate

I tried a few and settled for the tru oil its lovely

Looks spot on buddy, very nice.

I'm definately gonna do mine, might have to put it on hold until I get another gun. Dont want to be gun-less...... :blink:

ATB, Andy