Pike setup!!!!

Hi guys, need some info please! Have seen that there are plenty of Pike Fishermen on here so thought it would be a good place to start.

I have just started Pike Fishing after about ten years away from it, Salmon Fisherman in the main but ended up going out for the Pike on Sunday, and couldnt believe I forgot how much of a crack it was.

So..... The wife is offering to get me a setup for Christmas. I was thinking around the £150 mark for Rod and Reel. So methinks about a £100 for a rod and about £50 for the reel. I already own a Shimano Seido 6000 so would this do the trick and get a more expensive rod? Or would a ton get me a good deadbait rod???? Have seen a few Greys and Fox rods in my budget, but maybe someone knows of a great rod at half the price. All info appreciated, thanks, Tim.

You could get two rods an reels for that mate. is that shimano 6000 a baitrunner reel ? If not and your going to be mostly deadbaiting I'd strongly recommend a baitrunner reel of some sort and a 12 foot rod 2.5-3 lbs test curve. I find carp rods and reels do the same job for pike. Check out eBay and type in carp/pike combos and you'll be surprised at what you can get on there for next to nothing. Atb sham

i would say you dont need a baitrunner mate, better off putting the line in the clip with bail arm open, less resistance for pike when they take then. any decent rod 2.75lbtc plus will do you, what sort of venues is it bank or boat fishing?

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. My Shimano isnt a baitrunner, just a big sized spinning reel really. I will mostly be fishing big pits,lakes and canals. Deadbaiting in the main. For spinning I can use my Salmon setup that I used back in the day. I phoned Climax Tackle and they were excellent. Told me that I could get good quality kit that works for a fair bit less than I suggested. Thanks again guys, Tim.

you really are better off letting the line pull free from a clip, if the pike feels resistance they will often drop it, my hook holds improved and catch rate better when i stopped using the baitrunner facility and fished with the line in a drop off indicator attached to the rear rod rest, bail arm open. obviously it isnt always possible, big rivers heavy flow etc, but static deadbaits on stillwaters and canals etc its fine.

Hi. if you have'nt all ready got them you should have first , fish mat laying fish on for un hooking. 2 or3 diffrent forceps some good long ones .wire cutters .Good size landing net 42" or so. You will build your gear up steady ,but all ways be ready for quick a safely release ,their not as hard as a lot of people think. DSont walk off with your gear still fishing in the water, as not been their will only lead up to your fish getting deep hooked and dyeing.....Enjoy your fishing and i hope you get some good sport..If i can help just ask any probs on tackle or rigs.

Hi. if you have'nt all ready got them you should have first , fish mat laying fish on for un hooking. 2 or3 diffrent forceps some good long ones .wire cutters .Good size landing net 42" or so. You will build your gear up steady ,but all ways be ready for quick a safely release ,their not as hard as a lot of people think. DSont walk off with your gear still fishing in the water, as not been their will only lead up to your fish getting deep hooked and dyeing.....Enjoy your fishing and i hope you get some good sport..If i can help just ask any probs on tackle or rigs.

have to agree :thumbs:

Hi guys. Lucky enough to have an unhooking matt and big soft mesh net and weigh sling. Think I have made my mind up on a rod. Think a Shimano Forcemaster 12ft 3lb should do the job for now. Seen them on a few sites for around the £50 mark. Anyone know anything about them? Picked up a few rigs made by Greys, Fox and Middy. Will give them all a bit of a whirl on Sunday. They all seem well made though. Any good books or DVD's worth getting on the subject? Thanks again, Tim.

Hi guys. Lucky enough to have an unhooking matt and big soft mesh net and weigh sling. Think I have made my mind up on a rod. Think a Shimano Forcemaster 12ft 3lb should do the job for now. Seen them on a few sites for around the £50 mark. Anyone know anything about them? Picked up a few rigs made by Greys, Fox and Middy. Will give them all a bit of a whirl on Sunday. They all seem well made though. Any good books or DVD's worth getting on the subject? Thanks again, Tim.

hi lad the fox guide to gravel pit piking is not a bad dvd shows how to make all different style rigs atb