No picture..no write up..just the truth.

Guest vin

went out yesterday with an old mates son.Hes just started getting into dogs etc etc..We took his this years ferrets out for a mooch..

We went to a good wood where theres usually a good few sets etc etc.. But there was very little signs of any game at all..presume Mixy has had them also..so we moved a bit further on where i know of a bank with some nice sets on it..on the way down the hedge we ran a bunny into a 3 hole run through set..So i went down to other end of hedge and did a couple of sets with his little tiny ferrets (minatures,never seen any as small..they looked like mine at 8 weeks old)..we didnt bolt a single bunny from 2 sets..(very strange).so we went back to the 3 hole set with 1 in.. Not a single bolter..ran em through every hole 5 times etc etc,2 in opposite ends etc etc..nothing..no rumbles..dog was still marking up.. We gave up..nets off and home with Nothing LOL.

I know you,ll say ferrets are not working propperly yet..they bolted a few last week so i know they know what they are looking for..its just because they are still young and inexperienced..

so lads its not always big bags and pictures of loads o bunnies hanging off gates... its all hard work.

I can honestly say over the last few seasons i have had more empty bag days/nights than i have had big uns.. LOL.

good honest post Vin, i am going onto some new permission today about 50 mile from home... taking a ferret, a locator, terrier for marking, and lurcher.. i am showing a face and getting the lay of the land but i will have a mooch and probably bolt a few bunnys i can't guarantee a rabbit though as i ain't taking any nets haha its a bit of sport though and a day out :thumbs:

EDITED TO ADD: can't beat a day out bolting rabbits for the dogs, great bit of fun!!

Edited by frankel

We've all been there if it was easy there would be none left. Sometimes with young ferrets they won't go to deep and even when you know they're in there the ferrets don't have the gumption to move or find them...that's when a nice big experienced job is handy. ATB

• Like 1

had it saturday ferreted loads of earths to a hawk bolted two she caught one we done ten big earths we had two young ferrets and a old hob I THOUGHT IT MUST HAVE BIN MY AFTERSHAVE :thumbs:

thats always good fun if the lads with the hawks know the score...ive been out and seen some right numptys with £1500 worth of Goshawk on thier arm and all the equipment to go with it...then the daft gits have no clue how to bolt rabbits with the ferrets..I gave up last time i went and walked over to other side of hedge to find 2 big daft fellas with their heads down a hole shouting "come on yer bastad" to the ferret and jumping about on top of the set in an attempt to get the ferret off his kill...LOL.

I treid explaining about being quiet and not letting the rabbits know they were waiting for em...didnt work.

my mates lad goes out with his little harris hawk and nobbles loads with that and the ferrets..but he knows how to bolt em.

good honest post Vin, i am going onto some new permission today about 50 mile from home... taking a ferret, a locator, terrier for marking, and lurcher.. i am showing a face and getting the lay of the land but i will have a mooch and probably bolt a few bunnys i can't guarantee a rabbit though as i ain't taking any nets haha its a bit of sport though and a day out :thumbs:

EDITED TO ADD: can't beat a day out bolting rabbits for the dogs, great bit of fun!!

too right Frankel.. I love going on my own with the dog and ferts.. i always av a couple of nets and just net up the easy holes and leave the rest to chance..LOL..they always bolt from the one with no net on anyway..thats a fact...LOL

too right Frankel.. I love going on my own with the dog and ferts.. i always av a couple of nets and just net up the easy holes and leave the rest to chance..LOL..they always bolt from the one with no net on anyway..thats a fact...LOL

100% fact!! :laugh:

had it saturday ferreted loads of earths to a hawk bolted two she caught one we done ten big earths we had two young ferrets and a old hob I THOUGHT IT MUST HAVE BIN MY AFTERSHAVE :thumbs:

thats always good fun if the lads with the hawks know the score...ive been out and seen some right numptys with £1500 worth of Goshawk on thier arm and all the equipment to go with it...then the daft gits have no clue how to bolt rabbits with the ferrets..I gave up last time i went and walked over to other side of hedge to find 2 big daft fellas with their heads down a hole shouting "come on yer bastad" to the ferret and jumping about on top of the set in an attempt to get the ferret off his kill...LOL.

I treid explaining about being quiet and not letting the rabbits know they were waiting for em...didnt work.

my mates lad goes out with his little harris hawk and nobbles loads with that and the ferrets..but he knows how to bolt em.

LOL True i hope tha not talking about the stoat mugger brooki.

You've been there Del..LOL.

I must admit they did make me laugh..absolutely raving lunatics..the lot of em..LOL. How the hell did you manage a full week in Scotland with them lot and not end up hitching a lift home..LOL.

I must admit they did make me laugh..absolutely raving lunatics..the lot of em..LOL. How the hell did you manage a full week in Scotland with them lot and not end up hitching a lift home..LOL.

LOL I went on two seperate occasions with them found out them fekers from the dearn valley have got piss takeing down to a fine art lol.

LOL I went on two seperate occasions with them found out them fekers from the dearn valley have got piss takeing down to a fine art lol.

Too right Del.. I've laughed with them lot so much one night i was in genuine pain the next day..u know when it hurts to move yer stomach..LOL.

the pine martins comment ferkin kills me everytime.

Too right Del.. I've laughed with them lot so much one night i was in genuine pain the next day..u know when it hurts to move yer stomach..LOL.

the pine martins comment ferkin kills me everytime.

Yes the pinemartin comment was funny though the fekers winding our lass up about me and a certain female falconer wernt fekin funny at the time lol.