fao cookland deerhounds

First of all the Scottish in Scottish deerhound is a kennel club name they were bred and used all over the uk . Second there are some good deerhounds in the uk not just the doxhope cooklands or platts but you have to put research in !! I have been looking for two years for a top deerhound bitch and missed out on a litter dew to family matters but next year i know a litter is being bred so happy days and I will be working her for what she is bred for and future breeding plan as I feel someone has to take up the baton

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does it really matter what the parents are like for catching....how many bull terriers, collies etc can actually catch a hare; and people still use these..

I bought Doxhope Knight Errant (sire) doxhope Justine (dam) in 2001 and 2002. i bred a litter in 2007 and kept 4 for myself 2 dogs and 2 bitches and sold one to a good friend from Derby called Dave Rh

if you brought a dog of him last year and he didnt last long theres your answer.! you run them earlie and broke them? Me and my brother got 1 f1 each both cookland 11 and 14 month they might end up

I have a litter of pure deerhounds at the moment. The bitch has gone but i have of 3 dogs left. The mother is pure Doxhope and the father is Anmialchu beinn damph.( this has a 12 generation pedigree going back to 1947). All of the ancestors have won deerhound derby's. if you go into deerhound books and check the winners he will be related. ie grandfather, uncle etc that is how good this dog is.14 month old and doing stuff with teeth.

I have a litter of pure deerhounds at the moment. The bitch has gone but i have of 3 dogs left. The mother is pure Doxhope and the father is Anmialchu beinn damph.( this has a 12 generation pedigree going back to 1947). All of the ancestors have won deerhound derby's. if you go into deerhound books and check the winners he will be related. ie grandfather, uncle etc that is how good this dog is.14 month old and doing stuff with teeth.

have you just used a 14 month old dog as a stud dog?? youll be another hancock soon if thats the case :blink:

• Like 1

have you just used a 14 month old dog as a stud dog?? youll be another hancock soon if thats the case :blink:

So what!

its got very good breeding and that will be passed on to both pure and 1st x pups, as said before if your using say a pure collie to produce a collie cross rabbit catching lurcher does the collie have to be tried and tested on rabbit itself no ?

you dont even know a man and you call him a puppy farmer (hancock). the pure deerhound was breed for more running red stags if you wait to find 1 still used for doing that youll be waiting for ever.

full of experts slagging people of this site!

its a fact the majority of folk purchasing the f1 deerhound grey ,are show ponies .But not all Some are only interested in work and this his how it should be , Iwould say if one has seen double figures f1s work and owned a handfull that would qualify them to give a reasonable oppinion of the f1s and animals bred down from them .SOME CANbe what has termed has ploders these are usually dogs fact.but this his not allways the case .bred on again to f1s second gens brings them lighter and smaller in hight hence more agile and usually quicker off generation bred dogs do seem to give you a dog more suitable fo most lurchermans needs . Myself pif given a preference would allways have deerhound in the mix ,coupled with abit more running style and wind can be rate animals just my twopeneth .atb bunnys

i find it really unusual a well know breeder of working deerhounds would say the parents dont matter? surely if the deerhound parent gets a bit of work thrown in front of it faults will soon show themselfs same as good qualitys? :hmm:

Just wondering who said that?

its a fact the majority of folk purchasing the f1 deerhound grey ,are show ponies .But not all Some are only interested in work and this his how it should be , Iwould say if one has seen double figures f1s work and owned a handfull that would qualify them to give a reasonable oppinion of the f1s and animals bred down from them .SOME CANbe what has termed has ploders these are usually dogs fact.but this his not allways the case .bred on again to f1s second gens brings them lighter and smaller in hight hence more agile and usually quicker off generation bred dogs do seem to give you a dog more suitable fo most lurchermans needs . Myself pif given a preference would allways have deerhound in the mix ,coupled with abit more running style and wind can be rate animals just my twopeneth .atb bunnys

I dont know trevor cooks very well but I know he prefurs hes dogs to be kept by lads who work all quarrie with them regular

. As for show ponies the yes the silly judgies do like them but as long as I own my bitch and my brother owns his they will never enter a show ring.

we go out all the time and when there ready they will be given heaps of work and we WILL go out of our way and do what ever is nescsery to get them on gear and test them as working dogs, and if there up to the job theres fellas who will give this xs a go.

• Like 1

So what!

its got very good breeding and that will be passed on to both pure and 1st x pups, as said before if your using say a pure collie to produce a collie cross rabbit catching lurcher does the collie have to be tried and tested on rabbit itself no ?

you dont even know a man and you call him a puppy farmer (hancock). the pure deerhound was breed for more running red stags if you wait to find 1 still used for doing that youll be waiting for ever.

no but if i was going to use a collie, it would have to work sheep at the very least, an if i was to use a greyhound for breeding then it would atleast have to race, an do well

an breeding off anything at 14 months is nowt but greed especially if the pups will be sold, an i can have an opinion on somebody i have never met, an my opinion is trevor cookland is breeding too many dogs, whether they be pures or x's

So what!

no but if i was going to use a collie, it would have to work sheep at the very least, an if i was to use a greyhound for breeding then it would atleast have to race, an do well

an breeding off anything at 14 months is nowt but greed especially if the pups will be sold, an i can have an opinion on somebody i have never met, an my opinion is trevor cookland is breeding too many dogs, whether they be pures or x's

Every ones entitled to an opinion yes, but you should try and base it on facts, hopefully trevor will put up what he breeds but I think Im correct in saying he breed 1! at the most 2 litters of deerhound 1st xs last year. not exactlie a puppy out fit would you say?

He sells them for £200 a pup and that includes a set of jabs, to rear a big breed pup to 8 - 9 weeks £200 barley covers his costs.

I breed little toy dogs and money in there 10 times more profitable than giant great deerhounds I Tell ya.

So what!

Every ones entitled to an opinion yes, but you should try and base it on facts, hopefully trevor will put up what he breeds but I think Im correct in saying he breed 1! at the most 2 litters of deerhound 1st xs last year. not exactlie a puppy out fit would you say?

He sells them for £200 a pup and that includes a set of jabs, to rear a big breed pup to 8 - 9 weeks £200 barley covers his costs.

I breed little toy dogs and money in there 10 times more profitable than giant great deerhounds I Tell ya.

do you agree with breeding off a dog that is 14 months old??? never mind a dog that dont stop growing till they way past 14 months????

So what!

do you agree with breeding off a dog that is 14 months old??? never mind a dog that dont stop growing till they way past 14 months????

If I had a young dog that I could use whose full sister and or full brother weather from earlier litters were outstanding workers yes I would use him, even if he had done littleor no work at all, because he still has the jeans and breeding to produce good stock, this practice has personally stood me in well in the past.

• Like 1

just look at the greyhound data base and top honcho he raced only 3 times and sired over 10,000 pups (they would nt use him on his race form would they ,he would of been on the heap with rest of them )

so i agree if its got the genes and confrontation of a good dog used for bitches then why not ?

other breeders not just trev will use young dogs if it suites their breeding pattern and improves their quality of stock

• Like 1

Stud work...its the same as entering to a degree..pardon the pun..but early success can make all the difference..using a 14 month dog to mate a bitch isnt exactly going to strain tendons, break bones or put hips out..in some cases it speeds up the mental maturity, settling them down, and as far as producing too many pups, its his dog, he can do what the f**k he likes with it,

Edited by Romany
  • Like 2