Optics for .308

I have just bought myself a Ruger M77 .308 for Deer and Boar. Now I am trying to do some homework on a scope! The rifle will not be getting much use, but I do understand that you do need a quality scope. I have been hearing good things of late about some Nikko Sterling scopes, they seem good value for money. But you usually get what you pay for so should I bite the bullet and save for something really special? Any and all advice would be helpful, Thanks in advance, Tim.

G'day TGEvans.Hope you got the MK11,with 3 position safety.

I like rugers & own a few, as a controlled round feed is still the best for hunting.

The scope mounting system is strong,however you don't have the option of reversable bases or rings (ok you can order reversable rings,but theyre too high),.This means for some folks they can't get enough eye relief from the scope.

Leupold still have the best eye relief, so suit the rugers best.

I'd guess your walking up the pigs so shots could be close & fast,low power comes into it's own then.I'd use a 1.5x5 x 20 myself if pigs are an option,but a 3x9x40 may be better as an all rounder.Mount it as low as you can.

Cheers Khakibob

Hey hey, thanks for the reply. It will be used on deer and boar in mixed woodlands. It has got a three position safety. Whats the difference between the mark 1 and 11? It is about 6 years old, has not seen much work, Thanks again, Tim.

Hey hey, thanks for the reply. It will be used on deer and boar in mixed woodlands. It has got a three position safety. Whats the difference between the mark 1 and 11? It is about 6 years old, has not seen much work, Thanks again, Tim.

The difference is £300 to make it shoot straight ;)

6x42 S&B will suit your needs and if you do a little searching you will pick one up for around £160 S/H.

John

G'day TGEvans

The main difference is the safety.

Its not the price I considered when suggesting leupold,its the eye relief.Leupold have the longest.

The mounting system is strong,but not as friendly to scopes with short eye relief.

I like rugers but see many with poorly mounted/wrong scope.There is not the large range of reversable bases & rings that is avaliable for the other makes.

This is not to put down the ruger.I would own it before any push feed.But I'm a hunter not a paper puncher.

Cheers Khakibob

what about a Doctor optics 2.5 - 10 x 48 scope with No 4 ret

i have one in the sales section for £320 posted. they really are 1st class optics up there with the s&b,swaro and zeiss in this mag range.

ideal as you can go on the low mag for woodland stalking. and if you need that bit of zoom for longer range 10 mag is ideal

Edited by jamie g