when out lamping 4 weeks ago my 13 month old pup had a bad collision with either a post or rail , the pup ran out of the beam and ran flat out into it, after carrying the dog home and driveing to he vets i was told nothing was broken and to bring him back i the morning,in the morning a differnt vet looked at him and said nothing was broken and in her oppinion she was 99% sure no fracture so no point in an anastetic and x ray, anti inflamitry and pain killers and lots of rest, anyway 4 weeks later and a hell of a lot better but still limping and occasionly carrying leg still, do you think it should be healed by now and something is permanently damagd or am i being impatient?

when out lamping 4 weeks ago my 13 month old pup had a bad collision with either a post or rail , the pup ran out of the beam and ran flat out into it, after carrying the dog home and driveing to he vets i was told nothing was broken and to bring him back i the morning,in the morning a differnt vet looked at him and said nothing was broken and in her oppinion she was 99% sure no fracture so no point in an anastetic and x ray, anti inflamitry and pain killers and lots of rest, anyway 4 weeks later and a hell of a lot better but still limping and occasionly carrying leg still, do you think it should be healed by now and something is permanently damagd or am i being impatient?

try diffrent vets, never can be too sure

4 weeks is a not long for a bad knock to heal. give it another 4 weeks lead work :thumbs:

do you no this from experience of something similar or is it what you think? thank for reply , i think your right as he seems to be getting better although it is . slowly

i had a young dog hit a post pissing about in long grass same thing to the vets nothing broke and it took nearly 3 months for it to sort its self out plenty rest and lead work atb

did it make a full recovery or was it occasionly lame

hi its imposible to tell weather the dog has a fracture without xray dont care who the vet is you can have a crack in a bone with no swelling there is a good vet near shepshed loughbrough

i thought how can you be sure by looking, but if you x ray and find a fracture is there anything you can do other than rest the leg?

Only way to tell is x ray. Even then, I once took a dog to my local vet to have foot x rayed: took one x ray, nothing showed. Richard Torr took four x rays, all from different angles before he found the fracture! Barely visible, but a fracture all the same. Took 2 months before healed properly.

Only way to tell is x ray. Even then, I once took a dog to my local vet to have foot x rayed: took one x ray, nothing showed. Richard Torr took four x rays, all from different angles before he found the fracture! Barely visible, but a fracture all the same. Took 2 months before healed properly.

thanks for reply, a couple of questions, if it is say a fracture what can be done if anything, and after healing from a fracture or a bad smash at 13 months would you expect a full recovery, ie will it be still good for what it was bred for, saluki whippit x grey whip, thanks once again for any feedback

thanks for reply, a couple of questions, if it is say a fracture what can be done if anything, and after healing from a fracture or a bad smash at 13 months would you expect a full recovery, ie will it be still good for what it was bred for, saluki whippit x grey whip, thanks once again for any feedback

only time will answer that question sorry no magical cure