ferreting help please new permission

hi , i have just got some new permission 3500 acres of ferreting just starting out.. i have been a couple of days now once last week and caught 15 rabbits , and been there today and cuaght nuffing not one even bolted , netted all the earths up and nuffing out of none of them went around 4 or 5 sets .. does this mean they are dead sets i couldnt work it out as a few of them looked fresh and had fresh droppings outside , if anyone could help would be great thanks

there is a lot of reasons why they dont bolt. 1st is that they are not using those warrens second is that the warrens are big enough to give your ferrets the slip under ground you say that you are just starting out are the ferrets youngsters or are they older working ferrets working being the operative word here. it could be that when you are setting the nets your making a bit of noise and they are unsettled and will not bolt best to set the nets and then wait a good bit i some times net a few sets on the way to going to the one im mainlky after doing on the day im going then do the others as i walk back this means they get left as long as poss.

put a bit more info up such as size of warrens number of holes how many ferrets you using and you will probably get some better answers.

there are loads of possible reasons why they wont bolt somedays they just dont i was out last week looked a dead cert for afew but nothing showed and i had a nightmare if your just starting out keep at it been doing it on and off for a lot of years and still got loads to learn.

Edited by muddy210

i have a whippet really good at his job ferreting but not aloud dogs on permission until feb as they shoot on there , i have one 2yr old jill working and 6month polecat and yr old hob .. thats a good idea i will do that net the holes up then come back to them later that day after doing the rest ect; .. well theres alot of hedge rows that have the odd 4 or 5 holes .. but the biggest ive netted up so far is about 10 holes .. ive been using all 3 of the ferrets give them a turn each .. thanks for the replys

agree put them all in ! if you have enough nets net up 3- 4 burys so they have time to rest ! going out at night with a lamp might help show you what burys are being used the most !? then ferret them in the morning ! has worked for me but iam also aloud to take me dog with me ! also well worth the money is a couple of long nets ! i got some 100yard ones and cut them down so i have a 50 two 25s and some stop nets ! not all warrens are used even tho they look like they will produce lots i have a bank wich looks really good 60+ holes but there never seams to be more than a handfull at home when i ferret it with 6 jills ! so i just use the long nets then set the purse nets up on some smaller burys in the next field ! atb bud

It might help if you can work your ferrets with a more experienced team. Could you hear any activity like thumping, squeaking? were the ferrets coming back to the surface soon or staying down for a bit? If they pop up almost straight away it could mean it's empty, or more likely as you are new that the ferret doesn't know the game yet. Definitely try them 2-3 at a time even on some smaller warrens, as like has been said they might be getting the run around but if that was the case you probably would hear something.