spent last night for around two hours listening to an f1 photographer chatting about photography and seeing around 500 of his shots,

Now i'll admit i'm not a massive f1 fan, i watch it from time to time, But to hear what this guy went through and the air miles involved, was mind blowing.....!!!!!!!!

And his tale of dropping a canon 1d mark 2 and a prime 700mm lens, and it going into bit made my arse close thinking of the bucks it must of been worth...!!!!!!!

Seeing the images gave me a massive insight as to new ideas of taking just a standard dull image and putting a little twist to it...

our little photography club is really in some great photographers, i think i'm turning into a photography geek....lol

snap.

You can do much with a very basic DSLR and a couple of lenses, but it is a pain when you miss a shot because of the limitations of your kit... but it doesn't matter because chances are you'll have the wrong lens on at the time anyway... Pro photographers invest a lot of money in their (insured) kit, I'm sure the guy had back-up kit with him :)

The good news is that camera bodies kepp getting better and better, the bad news is that if you get a new one it will be out of date in about 6 weeks...

The camera back is largely irrelevent these days - save for the very top end stuff where you're significantly concerned with textures and colour depth.

It's the lenses that are all important. I shoot with canon's myself, have a DS MKII, a DS MKIII, and a old 50D for the sake of the focal multiplier.

Best Canon lense setup bang for buck these days is the 70-200 f2.8 IS lense coupled with the 2x extender and thrown onto the 50D (or any other model that's not full frame - so basically anything except a 5D or a DS series). Total combination gives you 224-640 @f4 with IS and the whole lot will set you back significantly less than £2k second hand.

shane the body you have is more than sufficient to be able to get very pleasing photos , not sure what lens you use , but i would invest in better lens rather than upgrade the body .edit some imagination into the pics you have already taken , i doubt the f1 chappy took images from camera to pc without editing them

they had a guy doing the editing kay.... looking at roughly 30,000 images a weekend between 4 in the company ....!!!!!!!

i must look at investing in a better lens... i have the 18-55mm 75-250mm i think it is, the 50mm prime.... and the tamron,

i have a few pics maybe being printed in a local calander too.... :) which i'm chuffed about...

but when you see the body with 43 focal points of recoginition and the 1000d with 9...!!!! its bound to effect quality somewhat

So for the semi pros would you recommend a lens upgrade...?

interesting...

they had a guy doing the editing kay.... looking at roughly 30,000 images a weekend between 4 in the company ....!!!!!!!

i must look at investing in a better lens... i have the 18-55mm 75-250mm i think it is, the 50mm prime.... and the tamron,

i have a few pics maybe being printed in a local calander too.... :) which i'm chuffed about...

but when you see the body with 43 focal points of recoginition and the 1000d with 9...!!!! its bound to effect quality somewhat

So for the semi pros would you recommend a lens upgrade...?

interesting...

How many of the 40.000 images do you think went in the bin , numbers mean nowt, & neither does a 15 grand body , its what you achieve with the tools you have that matter , its about putting your personal stamp on an image, no one takes 200 pics & gets 200 breathtaking world beating images , push what you have to the absolute limit

• Like 1

very true statement kay.....

out of his roughly 7000 images over a weekend he said 500 would go into the data base.......!!!!!!

just with last last year, and all that its entailed i've not had time to practice....

another guest this week yet again.... plus the theme bubbles to complete.... !!!!!

shane the body you have is more than sufficient to be able to get very pleasing photos , not sure what lens you use , but i would invest in better lens rather than upgrade the body .edit some imagination into the pics you have already taken , i doubt the f1 chappy took images from camera to pc without editing them

"Edit some imagination into the pics you have already taken" .................. And that statement there is all that is wrong with the digital photography world right now. :icon_eek:

it's very true......invest in fast glass rather than the body.

I use my Canon AE1 just as much as the D

(in other words..... my shotgun is not a Holland & Holland but it has a straight barrel and it goes bang just like a Holland & Holland ...go figure ?)

• Like 1

I'd suspect (hope anyway) that the F1 photographers have very little editing to do. The pro sports photographers that I know tend to shoot jpegs and mail them straight to their editors and websites more or less straight from their camera. If you're shooting news or sport you have to get it right when you shoot it because you don't have much time for PS faffing and no way should you alter an image by cloning anything out etc... Time would be spent editing the exhibition pieces, but this is why they have such expensive equipment - because they have to get it right and know that their kit can deliver the goods.

If it's any consolation he probably can't take a decent landscape shot... :tongue2:

Focus points? I think my 5Dmk2 also has 9... I tend to use just the one ;)

Most important is that you enjoy taking photos - you're doing well with the kit that you have and your hit rate is probably better than the pro's! :laugh: