working greyhound

• 3 weeks later...

Guest born to run1083

Aye but the key thing to success is having it from a pup, bringing it up like a Lurcher and letting it find it's legs, my dad had his at 12 months old but had been reared from 12weeks old in a hunting family so was given field craft my dad just put the finishing touches on as they say, my old mans will jump, good recall, retrieve to a degree lol ain't to bad at all and weirdly has endless steam. Plays with my first x collie/grey for hours free running and keeps up well, doesn't tire. the best asset to the dog is it's speed and how it uses it, he don't just run flat out willy nilly he will use it as it's required. Which is great. Very very underestimated breed

Edited by born to run1083
  • 2 weeks later...

i got a greyhound bitch years back that was bout year old was the most nervous dog ever took my time with her and brought her round started mooching with her getting her used to me and recall aswell as stock broke and startd to lamp the bitch.in no time at all this dog was picking up quickly and was as good as any lurcher at her job she seen her first fox and coursed it.great course when she faced it she started barking bitch was 14 or 15 months and would not take it at all.after another month it was a really rainy winding nite and i came up on a fox on permison i had with her she was watching it for ages and it didnt catch sight of us at all until i was about 20 feet away she went on her back legs and was of put 2 turns and lifted it in style she was getting pressured by it but after a minute or 2 got the better of it and done her job.this bitch was a different dog after that and a really handy tool.i remember one nite me and a friend who was running a hancock bitch went slip for slip with my bitch retriving 28 live to hand and dispatching 2 fox on the way home all single handed.but unfortunatly was killed in a kennel fight some months after.was gutted

i got a greyhound bitch years back that was bout year old was the most nervous dog ever took my time with her and brought her round started mooching with her getting her used to me and recall aswell as stock broke and startd to lamp the bitch.in no time at all this dog was picking up quickly and was as good as any lurcher at her job she seen her first fox and coursed it.great course when she faced it she started barking bitch was 14 or 15 months and would not take it at all.after another month it was a really rainy winding nite and i came up on a fox on permison i had with her she was watching it for ages and it didnt catch sight of us at all until i was about 20 feet away she went on her back legs and was of put 2 turns and lifted it in style she was getting pressured by it but after a minute or 2 got the better of it and done her job.this bitch was a different dog after that and a really handy tool.i remember one nite me and a friend who was running a hancock bitch went slip for slip with my bitch retriving 28 live to hand and dispatching 2 fox on the way home all single handed.but unfortunatly was killed in a kennel fight some months after.was gutted

Good post.