purse net colours

hi i haven't long started ferreting i currenlty have a few purse nets that my grandfather had as a young boy and a few i bought off of a friend but they are mainly green, i have noticed there are many brightly coloured nets on the market what is the thinking behind colourfull nets and wont the rabbits shy off of them?

atb joe

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

='joe perthigwynion' timestamp='1317205411' post='2264299'] thanks guys for your advice its very helpfull, i found the best way to not leave any nets is to us a elastic band to hold them tidy in the

As said mate rabbits see in black and white so the brighter the better rabbits quite often get back netted in these bright coloured nets so if they were scared of them they would run away from them get yourself a few bright coloured spun poly nets mate you wont regret it

Rabbits see in monochrome (black and white), so the colour dont matter. The reason they are brightly coloured is so they are easily seen by you. So you dont leave any nets behind, when you've finished. Hope this helps mate... happy hunting!

True but they must pick some colours out better than others as fish are the same but colours of lures really makes a difference. Have only ever used green nets so don't know if it makes a difference or not but theres days when they are not keen to bolt and it could make a difference but yellow could be better than green as we don't know how the rabbit sees thing's. I always count my nets as I put them down, but even then theres times when it takes a couple of minutes to find the last one.

Edited by Plong

='joe perthigwynion' timestamp='1317205411' post='2264299']

thanks guys for your advice its very helpfull, i found the best way to not leave any nets is to us a elastic band to hold them tidy in the bag and then put the band around my wrist as i set the nets there for i know how many nets i have out

Aye and when your setting maybe 200 nets along the length of a hedge etc they stop the circulation in your hand LOL

• Like 1

I like to use bright coloured ones because of the blatent answer.. there easier to see. Nothing else to it. I do have a fair few green ones but I try to use the others first.... never had a rabbit go "oh.. a net.. I should turn back and fight that ferret!" ... Because I speak rabbit see :p.

='joe perthigwynion' timestamp='1317205411' post='2264299']

thanks guys for your advice its very helpfull, i found the best way to not leave any nets is to us a elastic band to hold them tidy in the bag and then put the band around my wrist as i set the nets there for i know how many nets i have out

Aye and when your setting maybe 200 nets along the length of a hedge etc they stop the circulation in your hand LOL

lmao fair point that mate but atm i only work warrens requiring 20 or so nets at the most

I like to use bright coloured ones because of the blatent answer.. there easier to see. Nothing else to it. I do have a fair few green ones but I try to use the others first.... never had a rabbit go "oh.. a net.. I should turn back and fight that ferret!" ... Because I speak rabbit see :p.

How do you know, rabbit's shy off bolting if they here noise above ground, smell nets so why not see nets.

Edited by Plong

20 or so nets will soon turn into 40 or so nets its addictive lol ;) ;) ;)

oh dont get me started on how addictive hunting is i'm currently looking for premission with bigger warrens on it, this is the reason for making myself more nets now in the long winter nights that are not suitable for lamping, but no one will take a youngster like me seriously so i'm struggeling with getting premission.

How do you know, rabbit's shy off bolting if they here noise above ground, smell nets so why not see nets.

Didnt even say they cant see them... just say using brightly coloured nets has never stopped me getting rabbits... ... however my ferrets are either dragging a rabbit out or on the arse of a rabbit ... .. i cant prove weather or not they see them... which is why i didnt mention them seeing the net..

funny enough ive never had a problem with making noise above ground either... again though.. thats probably thanks to my ferrets ..(i have a wingy terrier (as most terriers are when stood still for longer than 3 seconds)

Didnt even say they cant see them... just say using brightly coloured nets has never stopped me getting rabbits... ... however my ferrets are either dragging a rabbit out or on the arse of a rabbit ... .. i cant prove weather or not they see them... which is why i didnt mention them seeing the net..

funny enough ive never had a problem with making noise above ground either... again though.. thats probably thanks to my ferrets ..(i have a wingy terrier (as most terriers are when stood still for longer than 3 seconds)

You don't have a clue then mate, I don't care what ferrets you have you make noise above ground they don't bolt.