Down the range...

Well as you may know Mary has picked up a new gun recently from Redbeck, this is the HW95, the Webley has been Blues Brothered for a new scope (Nite Eye SR12) that was going to sit atop her Scorpion but has found it's way onto Mini Me (.177 S10). The scope that was on Mini me (Nite Eye SR6) has been transplanted to Dr Evil (.22 S10), the MAP Pro that was on Dr Evil got transplanted to Helga (Mary's HW100), the MAP that was on the Helga has been put onto the HW95. So all those rifles had to be zeroed. Oh the fun.

In the end we wound up taking all our rifles down to Sinclair's Shooting Ground at Holbeach, paying a fiver each and spending a few hours in the comfort of the shooting shack. Sorry but idiot forgot to photo the shooting range, we will next time. They have replaced a lot of the field targets with new ones. So we set up one target box at 35 metres (..177) and 30m (.22). We roughly zeroed on the 10 metre target box then got the rifles zeroed in on bipods to the required box.

Then we took some photos...

DSC00308.jpg

The .22s

DSC00313.jpg

The .177s

DSC00315.jpg

The Spring Powereds!

Anyway we zeroed in the PCP set, then it was turn for Mary to set up her .177 95, I had already zeroed Amelia (the Air Arms TX200) to 35m. So I decided to plink the field targets, which were set to the widest diameter. After knocking down and resetting the field targets I decided that this was fun! The undelever does not hurt elbows like the old break barrels. I carried on plinking and then my eyes alighted at the spinners on the bank, approximately 45m away. There can be no better sense of achievment than to shoot dessert spoon sized spinners (actually old dessert spoons) from 45 metres, in a hellishly gusty wind, using a spring powered rifle. It really made you feel good. It was just nice to get the feeling of achievement that you can only get from a spring powered.

The rifles will required further zeroing in calm weather, but we got them set up to today's conditions and it will only take a few clicks to bring them into line. Anyway, now off to clean all 6 guns and have another appreciative stroke of that damned addictive springer.

Thanks Dom, we like them, the one that impressed me the most today was that 20 year old Air Arms. I knew what the others could do, but what that old springer could do impressed me, even in gusty conditions it was knocking down the targets and spinning the spinners like a pcp almost, but that lovely kick of the recoil, just made it more satisfying.

I haven't been shooting that much this year for reasons most of you know, but whilst I have two lovely PCPs, it's the Hw95 which has put a real smile on my face.

Once the HW95 was zeroed in, I to joined in plicking, leaving my HW100T .22 and Scorpion SE .177 just sitting there. I have so missed shooting a springer, I will never give up my PCPs, great for hunting but can be a little too clinical. The HW 95 is a brillant lightweight springer, it's a long time since I have enjoyed shooting so much, even surpassed killing my first rabbit..

Thanks Simon (Pianoman) for advise, but sorry it's here to stay..