Not a bad little morning

Elliott

Up at 6.30am this morning and out the door to my newest permission, a 10 minute drive from me. The chap has only around 1 acre of land and grows vegetables to sell at the local markets. He's plagued by rabbits, woodies, collard doves, magpies and crows but the rabbits are by far the wariest I have ever come across. The slightest noise or movement and they're off! I've tried all sorts, even getting onto the shed roofs in a real sniper position (which was recommended by the owner!). The sheep netting and adjacent fields are a real pain in the arse and to make matters worse, to get anywhere near the fencelines you have to dodge the hundreds of plastic planters and trays that are scattered everywhere and in the long grass - not exactly stealthy! The rabbits seem to come across from the neighbouring land and trying to find a suitable position to shoot is a real pain :angry2: Up until today I had only managed to bag a 50 yard magpie but this morning I was determined.

I arrived at 7.15am and to my suprise bagged by first bunny at 7.20am :victory: with a relatively easy headshot at around 25 yards, prone on the bipod from behind a conifer. The .22 HW100 really does the business! :boxing:

Guess what? After waiting for over 2 hours there were no rabbits were to be seen all morning! Still chuffed with the one rabbit, this permission is a real tester.

Got back home at 9.30am, nipped into the local butchers and got a pound for my efforts then had a little 3 mile run before the missus had even got out of bed!

All good fun!

Edited by Elliott

Just got back in from another early morning session and managed to bag another on the lawned area from under the conifers. The rabbit rolled over as usual and after a couple of kicks lay motionless. Job done. I laid there for around 15 mins thinking I might bag another from the same position but as is the case at this permission the one shot seemed to be enough to scare everything off, so I went for the retrieve.

Never seen this before, but the shot must have knocked its bottom teeth straight out! I pulled out the laser rangefinder from my pocket and blipped the area from where I took the shot. 31 yards flashed up. I'd estimated the rabbit to be 25-26 yards which is my zero and aimed bang on. The shot must have dropped ever so slightly low (1/4 inch). It still did the business but I think the whack of the .22 covered up my mistake. *Note to self, use rangefinder before pulling trigger*

Anyone seen this before?

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzctMjAxMTA5MjUtMDkwMi5qcGc.jpg

And here's the complete shot. Another single rabbit for the day but worth the early morning get up.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzYtMjAxMTA5MjUtMDkwMi5qcGc.jpg

Edited by Elliott

Good shooting mate, that is strange iv never come across that before, i guess it is possible, iv shot rabbits just behind the eye and actually popped them clean out.

Hi Bill, I couldn't see the teeth in the scope and it was only half-three quarters grown so I wondered if the pellet forced them out? Sounds a bit daft I know!

Hi Elliot.

Not jaw bone is it ?

Bill.

I guess it must be chaps :hmm:

Nipped out again tonight and bagged a magpie and another bunny just before nearly losing the light totally. Missed one, shot went straight over the top by about 1/2 inch. Luckily the one I bagged stayed in situ (at 10 yards!) and didn't see me behind a wooden pallet. Realised that the cammo gloves and headnet make a real difference! Both rabbits will be in the butchers by 8am tomorrow, and the magpie left out for mr fox ;) .

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzgtMjAxMTA5MjUtMTkyNi5qcGc.jpg

Edited by Elliott

It's more than likely the pellet did do that, with massive hydraulic pressure (as the brain is mostly water) there will always be a pressure buildup and all that pressure needs to go somewhere, usually by way of taking the mush out of the ears or bulging an eye, no reason why it cant dislodge a few teeth!

Great shooting, nice HW100 too!

Phil