cull or keep?????

I'm just interested in what you think could have made your dog suddenly refuse to run rabbits at 4/5 years old, being that you said it was an experianced and fit dog, that had been performing well over a few seasons?

where have i argued?i gave my 1 pence worth and you said no it was this that and the other that caused it lol,your just asking for a reaction with that,and i know that the dog just jacked end of no ifs or buts it quit fair and square.

as for the "f**k off" im sure a lol followed it as i found what you replied with to be a silly statement,i know not all dogmen are made of the right salts but neither are all dogs.oh an accusing someone of being at school is silly,childish,looking for a arguement now grow up mate.

So it "just jacked"? Fair enough.

No offence mate, but you are hard work. lol.

thats why no one likes him

i couldnt care less,and as for being hard work,the hard work is trying to get it in to your skull that "rabbit" dogs jack.

As much as fox and deer dogs? Cos that was my only point in the first place lol.

if not more so nowadays,rabbits are the only things you can run with a dog,fox and deer are illegal.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi ya depend what you call jack ?? what tackle you hunting for them to jack em on an yes my dogs have jacked at some point there living things not machines no i havent culled i have never culled any d

How many of the folks on here that wont cull have bred from there dogs that they know have jacked ran half hearted and failed ? and did ye sell the pups ? how many of ye were completly honest with the

A lot of problems are caused by folk buying in adult dogs and hoping that it will turn out a good one. Then there are the folk who get a pup and are in too much of a hurry to run different game. Eve

Guest born to run1083

I guess it all depends on a lot of factors -

If you run rabbits, chances of getting a jacker are pretty low to non existant i would think.

Fox, pre ban, you will obviously have some that just won't do it or are poor at it, and if that was the dogs purpose then . . . .

There is also a difference between culling a dog that has 'jacked' or failed, and culling a dog that has not made the level that you wished in the time you wanted, based upon some internet forum yard stick.

not all sighthounds have the instinct to chase. alot of greyhounds get culled each year for this exact reason. they get the best of starts aswell. how do you get an animal to even a poor ability if it won't chase these arnt jackers as they havnt ran anything at all. as they won't I lady from wisbec gave nearly a whole litter away at 18months old after being to the best trainers. this can happen in lurchers, what do you do if they throw this trait if numptys breed off this stuff

well i have persoannly seen a couple a dog throw in the towel so to speak on bunnys after a decent start to life......

so it deffo does happen.....

lets look at yer theory like this then, do ye reckon the ammount of fox dogs bred equalls the number of rabbit dogs bred an worked???

do you think more rabbit dogs would fail to make the grade if folk were honest with themselves????????

we all know a guy or 2 that keeps collie or saluki blooded lurchers, dogs that will an do pick runs....

yet they still run an take bunnys with the dogs, grranted its the bunnys the dogs have chose an not the lamper lol

if all these bunnymen were to put the same do or die standards on there dogs as the hedgle splitting, running everything wae 110% commitment foxdogs do, do ye reckon there wid more jackers????

I'd say these days the number of 'fox dogs' getting bred is getting up there mate haha.

What is 'the grade'? When it comes to bunnies? As long as you are bagging up, surely that's what counts, rather than a dog that will put 110% into something it won't catch?

But i do agree on the last bit mate, you are probably right, if the hardest of standards was put across all dogs than we would have a lot more 'jackers', that's par for the course.

I also think the internet has led to a lot more dogs being labelled as jackers.

As mentioned before though, so folk want to go out, have good sport, catch good numbers and enjoy their dogs, others want to have the BEST dog and might catch 50 rabbits, but will spend more time thinking about the 10 they feel they should have caught, than the 50 they did.

And i'm not knocking the second group as they are the ones that ultimatly create the best dogs that you'd want a pup off. But you also cannot look down on the former group as being 'inferior' in attitude, as long as they tell no lies. . . .

mate all i can say is you make it sound as tho ye aint ever been lampin, or atleast not done a lot...

i have on numerous occasions, an i mean more times than i have finger an toes :icon_redface:

seen a bunnys sitting a few foot maybe from a hedge/fence/cover or 1 a the many places they head when threatened, an a dog shown it on the lamp,

only for the dog to either look away an pretend not to have seen it, or walk a few paces up the beam an stand there,

noo heres where it gets intresting lol

put that potlicker on a lead, slip a decent dog with a bit of drive an i have seen that bunny that yer so called clever mutt, has just refused to run, turn an run opposite way, quick course an catch, an thats another bunny in the bag lol

imo thats the diffrence between a jacker an a lamp dog....

the difrrentce bettween a average/good bunny dog comes down to a lot a thing, reterive, steadyness, lots of them,

but to gee 110% is a must in any working dog i will own, anything else is a jacker....

you said a dog that runs half hearted at a bunny aint a jacker, its shit, well i disagree, a dg which runs full speed an just cannot strike or keep the pace is shite

a dog which runs half hearted is a jacker :thumbs:

I own a rabbit jacker :thumbs::laugh:

well i have persoannly seen a couple a dog throw in the towel so to speak on bunnys after a decent start to life......

lets look at yer theory like this then, do ye reckon the ammount of fox dogs bred equalls the number of rabbit dogs bred an worked???

do you think more rabbit dogs would fail to make the grade if folk were honest with themselves????????

we all know a guy or 2 that keeps collie or saluki blooded lurchers, dogs that will an do pick runs....

yet they still run an take bunnys with the dogs, grranted its the bunnys the dogs have chose an not the lamper lol

if all these bunnymen were to put the same do or die standards on there dogs as the hedgle splitting, running everything wae 110% commitment foxdogs do, do ye reckon there wid more jackers????

I'd say these days the number of 'fox dogs' getting bred is getting up there mate haha.

What is 'the grade'? When it comes to bunnies? As long as you are bagging up, surely that's what counts, rather than a dog that will put 110% into something it won't catch?

But i do agree on the last bit mate, you are probably right, if the hardest of standards was put across all dogs than we would have a lot more 'jackers', that's par for the course.

As mentioned before though, so folk want to go out, have good sport, catch good numbers and enjoy their dogs, others want to have the BEST dog and might catch 50 rabbits, but will spend more time thinking about the 10 they feel they should have caught, than the 50 they did.

And i'm not knocking the second group as they are the ones that ultimatly create the best dogs that you'd want a pup off. But you also cannot look down on the former group as being 'inferior' in attitude, as long as they tell no lies. . . .

mate all i can say is you make it sound as tho ye aint ever been lampin, or atleast not done a lot...

i have on numerous occasions, an i mean more times than i have finger an toes :icon_redface:

seen a bunnys sitting a few foot maybe from a hedge/fence/cover or 1 a the many places they head when threatened, an a dog shown it on the lamp,

only for the dog to either look away an pretend not to have seen it, or walk a few paces up the beam an stand there,

put that potlicker on a lead, slip a decent dog with a bit of drive an i have seen that bunny that yer so called clever mutt, has just refused to run, turn an run opposite way, quick course an catch, an thats another bunny in the bag lol

the difrrentce bettween a average/good bunny dog comes down to a lot a thing, reterive, steadyness, lots of them,

but to gee 110% is a must in any working dog i will own, anything else is a jacker....

you said a dog that runs half hearted at a bunny aint a jacker, its shit, well i disagree, a dg which runs full speed an just cannot strike or keep the pace is shite

aye we know :laugh:

aye we know :laugh:

At least i am honest though :laugh:

i myself would give a dog more than a fair chance to prove its self as a worker and freeezer filler if all fails id get pts humanely as the kennels and rescue centers full of dogs and id hate to think a dog of mine was stuck in kennels when it was use to better as far as im concerned people passing on sub standard dogs which then do the rounds passed from place to place are the people to blame for the many shite dogs being bred off a dog bred to work isnt meant to be a pet but some pet dogs that havent worked being bred for money as workers making more jackers put a shite dog down and save somebody more heart ache later

Six pack your full of shite u left a msg on a thred saying I should of left an injured dog in the field now you are comin out saying dogs shouldn't be culled make your mind up..

I guess there wasn't a "leave the jacker in the field" option in the title :whistling: Leaving a jacker is either lazy, cowardly or pretending to be a big man<_<

i know its gonna upset a few folk, but it is a serious question...

we all know ye only get out what ye put in when it comes to pups, but most also know, that not everydog is gonna make the grade...

so what happens next????

do you cull/rrehome or keep what ye got an make the most of it??????

dont care how ye cull, or who ye rehome to, not what im asking....

be honest, have you got jackers in yer kennel, are you happy with them??? or have you replaced a jacker with a dog that gives its best..

atb

Dotty

i personally think that one should make up ones mind what sex you want to keep before breeding a bitch .... for example... i want a dog pup so at birth i will cull all bitch pups and leave the dog pups on the mother . these will go to start work very few will be gifted what ever fails get's culled simple ..... hope this helps dotty :thumbs:

SAD :blink:

what kind of comment is SAD or do mean

Seasonally,Affected Disorder ??

and joball i know you don't cull so why post lies ..... it's not that long ago you were slagging me off because i cull wastage ££££££££££££

i couldnt cull any dog,i think your a bunch of cruel fuckers even debating this,

so is it safe to say that selling the whole litter to anyone that happens along is a good idea .... and what about the stress on the brood bitch that is nursing a full litter .... here's another spin on it for you .... when dogs were wild living what percentage of a litter of say 10 pups would survive to say 1 month old i reckon about 4 ??? whats your view plutto

• Like 1

i only really keep fox dogs but if 1 of them jacked on fox but was decent on other stuff id rehome it but tell the person who's taking it why im getting rid so they no wat there getting to be honest reckon id have to put the big wheaten x down if he jacked hes a bit big for rabbits but puts his all into catching them he'd maybe lift 4 or 5 outta 10