cull or keep?????

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi ya depend what you call jack ?? what tackle you hunting for them to jack em on an yes my dogs have jacked at some point there living things not machines no i havent culled i have never culled any d

How many of the folks on here that wont cull have bred from there dogs that they know have jacked ran half hearted and failed ? and did ye sell the pups ? how many of ye were completly honest with the

A lot of problems are caused by folk buying in adult dogs and hoping that it will turn out a good one. Then there are the folk who get a pup and are in too much of a hurry to run different game. Eve

Any real reason to be rude? Or are you 14 and it's par for the course?

How many decent lurchers will 'jack' as in, refuse to run or tackle rabbits?

And in comparisson, how many will refuse to tackle a fox or deer (pre ban) ?

I feel, that if they will not run bunnys, but have been, then it is probably down to lack of fitness, an unseen injury, or poor entering etc. The number of lurchers that will point blank refuse to ever run one, must be low.

Remember we are talking 'jacking', not, just being a bit average.

Now, when you reply, try to do so without telling me to 'f**k off' . . . . i know it's hard, but with practice you might get there one day.

There are plenty of dogs out there that even brought up well dont work how the owner wants. By that I mean pulling up at hedges, running half hearted on rabbits it doesnt think it can catch etc etc. If a dog exhibits traits which the owner doesnt like then to many that is a cull.

There seems to be this belief that just becasue a dog chases and catches rabbits it has made the grade as a rabbit dog.....

ive seen dogs 4/5 years old just up stick and refuse to run rabbits,fit experienced dog aswell,it happens alot more than whats bouncing round the head of ideatation,to much of a good thing can have the reverse affect

I feel, that if they will not run bunnys, but have been, then it is probably down to lack of fitness, an unseen injury, or poor entering etc. The number of lurchers that will point blank refuse to ever run one, must be low.

Now, when you reply, try to do so without telling me to 'f**k off' . . . . i know it's hard, but with practice you might get there one day.

There are plenty of dogs out there that even brought up well dont work how the owner wants. By that I mean pulling up at hedges, running half hearted on rabbits it doesnt think it can catch etc etc. If a dog exhibits traits which the owner doesnt like then to many that is a cull.

There seems to be this belief that just becasue a dog chases and catches rabbits it has made the grade as a rabbit dog.....

I'm not sure the stuff you are talking about counts as 'jacking'? maybe i'm wrong?

I think the belief is that if the dog chases and catches enough rabbits then it has made the grade as a rabbit dog . . . .

ive seen dogs 4/5 years old just up stick and refuse to run rabbits,fit experienced dog aswell,it happens alot more than whats bouncing round the head of ideatation,to much of a good thing can have the reverse affect

Without resorting to insults. . . .

In your wise opinion, what would cause a fit, experianced dog, that has spent 4 seasons catching good numbers of rabbits to suddenly completely refuse to run a rabbit? To the point that you took it out and shot it at that age?

I'm not sure the stuff you are talking about counts as 'jacking'? maybe i'm wrong?

I think the belief is that if the dog chases and catches enough rabbits then it has made the grade as a rabbit dog . . . .

so what would you call a dog running half hearted behind a bunny mate????

I guess it all depends on a lot of factors -

If you run rabbits, chances of getting a jacker are pretty low to non existant i would think.

Fox, pre ban, you will obviously have some that just won't do it or are poor at it, and if that was the dogs purpose then . . . .

There is also a difference between culling a dog that has 'jacked' or failed, and culling a dog that has not made the level that you wished in the time you wanted, based upon some internet forum yard stick.

the humble rabbit will jack more dogs than you think.

That'd be the owner mate, rather than the rabbit.

Lack of fitness, poor bond etc etc.

f**k off lol lack of commitment from the dog on the cases ive seen.

and rude is trying to tell me it was down to something else,other than the dog just refusing

If you run rabbits, chances of getting a jacker are pretty low to non existant i would think.

Fox, pre ban, you will obviously have some that just won't do it or are poor at it, and if that was the dogs purpose then . . . .

There is also a difference between culling a dog that has 'jacked' or failed, and culling a dog that has not made the level that you wished in the time you wanted, based upon some internet forum yard stick.

and rude is trying to tell me it was down to something else,other than the dog just refusing

So having a different opinion is rude? I didn't say the dog did not refuse.

All i initially said was that you will get a far higher number of out and out jackers if your quarry is/was fox/deer rather than rabbits.

Dotty - if it suddenly happened age 4/5, i would be asking some questions, and looking for a few other things before labelling it as a jacker.

. . . and if that was just how it ran from the off, i'd call it an average / shit dog.

All i initially said was that you will get a far higher number of out and out jackers if your quarry is/was fox/deer rather than rabbits.

Dotty - if it suddenly happened age 4/5, i would be asking some questions, and looking for a few other things before labelling it as a jacker.

. . . and if that was just how it ran from the off, i'd call it an average / shit dog.

it wasnt an opinion you said it was down to that,when i can assure you it wasnt,and if it was like that from the off it wouldnt be an average dog it would be a dog not fit for the job it was wanted for or a cull so to speak,dog would still run other things but its main purpose was rabbit control and it quit no ifs or buts

Its possible to sicken any living thing if you dont use your head, but some dogs are shit.......end of story.

Very true, i would just doubt that many dogs, after performing well for say 4 seasons, would suddenly 'become' shit one night, on rabbits?

so aint an average or shit dog a jacker???

i understand some dogs have better ability that others, but trying is a must imo, an running half hearted aint trying, no matter where ye stand an look in from...

to me a jacker is a dog that will not give its best..... each an everytime......

the fact of the matter is, if adog jacks, i dont condeme it, i try an find out why, but barring injurys an obvious truama, how can you diagnose why a dog has jacked????

it wasnt an opinion you said it was down to that,when i can assure you it wasnt.

Perhaps you need to learn that every comment people make in conversation / discussion is not directly about your own experiance and intended as an insult / put down.

I think it is fair to say (as i did) that if a dog that has been performing well, suddenly stops doing so, then perhaps i would be inclined to question the dogs fitness, wheather it's carrying an injury, or if i as the dog man had done something (s) daft to sicken the dog, before i labelled it as 'shit'.

it wasnt an opinion you said it was down to that,when i can assure you it wasnt.

Perhaps you need to learn that every comment people make in conversation / discussion is not directly about your own experiance and intended as an insult / put down.

I think it is fair to say (as i did) that if a dog that has been performing well, suddenly stops doing so, then perhaps i would be inclined to question the dogs fitness, wheather it's carrying an injury, or if i as the dog man had done something (s) daft to sicken the dog, before i labelled it as 'shit'.

and perhaps you need to stop listening to your own voice ffs,ive had a look threw and it seems you question everybody elses actions experiences,that means one of 2 things your a old man talking from experience or someone who thinks they know it all and is not willing to take in other folks take on things.could be both