shooting vermin on a sunday

I believe there was an old by-law about hunting on the Sabbath that banned it in some parishes. The Church played a far more important moral as well as spiritual role in people's lives than it does now and was outspoken about bloodsports on the day of worship. in the 1953 movie "The Titfield Thunderbolt" The Reverend Weach reprimands his engine fireman for "poaching on Sunday" to which his man replies "Never shot a pheasant on a Sunday, may I drop down dead!"

I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for shooting on a Sunday and I've been shooting for over 40 years. Much of it on Sundays, as a lot of lads here will have too.

Simon

hi lads

just done a quick google it might be this your thinking about

The Shooting of Game The Game Act 1882 states that no person can shoot or pursue game between 8pm and 7am on any day or on any Sunday. Game includes Grouse, Partridge, Pheasant, Snipe, Woodcock, Mallard, Widgeon, Teal and Brown or Common Hares.

atb gary

All of the shoting seasons and by-laws can be found here:

http://www.basc.org.uk//en/departments/game-and-gamekeeping/game-shooting/shooting-seasons.cfm

This is from the same page:

Sunday and Christmas Day Shooting

England and Wales

Game for the purposes of this section means pheasant, partridge, red grouse, black grouse and hare.

No game may be killed or taken in any county on Sunday or Christmas Day.

Before the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays were made under sections 2 and 13 of the Protection of Birds Act 1954. Those still in existence are in the following counties (or parts of counties in existence before the 1974 local authority re-organisation):

Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarvon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset, North and West Ridings of Yorkshire