Was out last Friday with my lad and the Lab for our first mooch about in a while (never took the camera).

Took a nice rabbit that the dog hunted up, then we settled down in some reeds next to a small lake, some Mallards came in on the other side of the lake but well out of range, they called and a Mallard came out a steam behind us to land on the lake which i shot.

When i got up with the dog to retrieve it (which she did well) the other Ducks flew off just out of range, no other ducks came in after that.

My question is - should i have left the shot duck to retrieve later allowing the ducks on the lake to call in others for me to shoot?

I dont feed the lake (but maybe i should) so the flight patterns are quite natural.

Any advise welcome.

Dave.

Was out last Friday with my lad and the Lab for our first mooch about in a while (never took the camera).

Took a nice rabbit that the dog hunted up, then we settled down in some reeds next to a small lake, some Mallards came in on the other side of the lake but well out of range, they called and a Mallard came out a steam behind us to land on the lake which i shot.

When i got up with the dog to retrieve it (which she did well) the other Ducks flew off just out of range, no other ducks came in after that.

My question is - should i have left the shot duck to retrieve later allowing the ducks on the lake to call in others for me to shoot?

I dont feed the lake (but maybe i should) so the flight patterns are quite natural.

Any advise welcome.

Dave.

Defo feed the pond if your want to shoot it...... :thumbs:

I always leave the ducks till the shooting is finished. A friend of mines dog lost an eye when the Italians(need i say more) opened fire on an incoming duck after the shooting was ment to be finished and he had sent his dog in for a retrieve.

Any advise welcome.

Dave.

Get yourself a few decoys buddy,and arrange them on the water where you think the ducks are coming into,there should be signs like feathers on the water.Place your decoys within range of your hide for shooting and start feeding that area every day or two.If you only shoot it once or twice a week you should get good shooting all through the season providing you keep feeding it and no one else is shooting it.

Thanks lads.

Do you take a lamp for locating the ducks after the flighting has finished.

ATB

Dave.

Certainly easier if you do........ :thumbs: