gunna try trapping a stoat. help please?

ok.i fancy trying to catch a stoat in a cage trap.no apparent reason (just something to do) lol.where do i start? i know theres already posts on this topic but cant seem to find info on where to put the trap? the bait? and what about the measurements of the mesh squares? iv heard stoats and weasels can squeeze into tiny places? any help would be great. sam :)

Sam

Despite having many cage traps set over the years I have never caught a live stoat in one. My cages all had 1" weldmesh construction and I doubt a dog stoat would be able to squeeze out of it, so why did I never catch one? :hmm: What I think is that you would have to use a live bait in order to attract a stoat into a trap or a very fresh one at least. Live baited traps are obviously illegal in the UK, but I wonder if a just killed half young rabbit would work if placed in an area known to be frequented by stoats?

As for a site, then a natural runway is always the best option, and can easily be adapted to take your trap. The run through a hedge bottom, stone wall or ditch drain is always a good site, but hollow trees and log piles can be equally productive. If you want to maximise your chances then set a trap where you see a stoat - they don't really move that far from a hunting ground that is productive for them.

I would be interested to hear of how you get on with this challenge. Keep us posted.

OTC

Sam

Despite having many cage traps set over the years I have never caught a live stoat in one. My cages all had 1" weldmesh construction and I doubt a dog stoat would be able to squeeze out of it, so why did I never catch one? :hmm: What I think is that you would have to use a live bait in order to attract a stoat into a trap or a very fresh one at least. Live baited traps are obviously illegal in the UK, but I wonder if a just killed half young rabbit would work if placed in an area known to be frequented by stoats?

As for a site, then a natural runway is always the best option, and can easily be adapted to take your trap. The run through a hedge bottom, stone wall or ditch drain is always a good site, but hollow trees and log piles can be equally productive. If you want to maximise your chances then set a trap where you see a stoat - they don't really move that far from a hunting ground that is productive for them.

I would be interested to hear of how you get on with this challenge. Keep us posted.

OTC

thanks for this info mate.and yeah ill keep posting what happens lol.iv suddenly got this big interest in trying to catch one as yesterday one of my terriers ran one into a rat hole and tried digging to him.i could hear him spitting but he soon bolted and escaped. (really fast little bugger) (i posted this on the terrier section).the little guy really fascinated me .id only release one if i caught one but its a little challenge i suppose. cheers pal.. sam :D

Edited by sambo123
Guest Ditch_Shitter

Bit more input for ye, Sam; Stoats work a far wider area than weasles do. But ye have one marked down now, so you can take the battle straight to him. First thing ye need is a 'Run Through' sort of trap. Any tunnel (cover the trap to make it dark inside) will attract a stoat - as long as he can see a clear way out the other end.

Most famous place to set is beside a gate post, facing the opposite post. Think about it; Stoaty comes down the hedge. Gets to a ten or fourteen foot no stoats land and consideres his options. If he sees a handy hole at the other side, that'll make his mind up. He'll make a dash straight for it.

Regards bait; The fresher and bloodier the better. Ye may even try dragging a fresh from the body liver, on a piece of string tied to the end of a stick. Leaves a scent trail. Drag that from ye trap along to any other likely looking spots, such as natural holes and spots of cover. If he hits that scent he'll come running too. Seen it.

Mind ye fingers, if ye do catch one. They're vicious little shits and faster than a bill through the postal system!

PS. Personally, I'd go with 1/2" mesh, for a stoat.

ok.i fancy trying to catch a stoat in a cage trap.no apparent reason (just something to do) lol.where do i start? i know theres already posts on this topic but cant seem to find info on where to put the trap? the bait? and what about the measurements of the mesh squares? iv heard stoats and weasels can squeeze into tiny places? any help would be great. sam :)

had 1 in a seesaw trap some years ago

had 1 in a seesaw trap some years ago

cheers for that ditch.ill let you all know how i go on.im setting it tomorrow.sam :D