Northern Ireland, Hunting laws and dogs travel

Theres a small chance i might be moving to Northern Ireland in the near future if work comes off. Due to the nature of the job, i'll have to be on best behaviour(ish). Whats it like over there? I've heard from many that southern ireland most land owners are care free about where you go, but whats NI like? Whats the laws? Are you free to transport dogs from north to south? Can they travel between Mainland britain and NI?

thanks lads

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

don't believe all you hear about the land owners in the south being care free, we still have to work hard to gain permission.

well you mite be right chid, but any farmer that i talk to in any part of NI tell you dont kill any hares or your off and dont come back. a lot of farmers are not happy about dogs coursing around shee

Who in the name of god is Sticky Vicky yous are on about . I thought this was about a hair coursing ban ,     well this one here looks a right Sticky Vicky

Posted Images

in the north ... fox, deer and hare is legal ...

where abouts in the north might you be moving to? i moved over here bout 3 yrs ago and it was the best move i did ... would not move back to england

where abouts in the north might you be moving to? i moved over here bout 3 yrs ago and it was the best move i did ... would not move back to england

hunting hare in n.i is illegal

Edited by Hunter man

you tell me why its illegal.... cause i know for a fact it isnt ...

you tell me why its illegal.... cause i know for a fact it isnt ...

it is illegal in n.i to hunt hare s hunter man is right ask anyone who hunts the north the ll tell ye the same

Edited by nancy

Naturally your not aware of the laws reguarding hares ,coursing hares in Northern Ireland was banned in 2004 by

an Environment minister Angela Smith [former employee of league against cruel sports ]it was passed through Stormont

as no other political partys was sitting at that time .When news came of the ban both political parties expressed outrage over

what Angela Smith got doing without proper consultation ,It was took into Northern Ireland High Court in Feb 2005 where it was

upheld ,it was challenged again in June 2010 by Sinn Feins Francie Molloy and was narrowly defeated by 23 votes to 18 ,so

Hare Coursing Is Defintley Banned In Northern Ireland .

Edited by jimmys shop

no its not .... if you dont know what your talking about why reply.

the IRISH hare was protected by a temporary protection order .... which was not renewed this year so means there is no protection for them ...

the brown hare was never protected so has always been legal to hunt ...

now what is banned is the organised coursing meets , the beagles are still allowed to hunt and so are the lurchers

so as from 4 days ago (start of the season for hare in NI) any hare is fair game