snapped my shotgun stock info needed please

hey lads i bought a 2nd hand lanber sporter on friday and i took it apart today to strip the stock and oil it.

after applying nitromors i gave it a rub with wire wool and as i rubbed the thin part that surrounds the action it snapped :censored:

so i dried it all off and glued it back together and i am currently leaving it to dry to assess it in the morning.

heres the crack after glueing

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

the shop i bought it from are not open today to will ring tomorrow

so i am after some info

is this repair suitable?

do i need a new stock? will the shop pay?

any help really

thanks

scott

It may work. However it would have been better if it had been drilled and pinned. There is not a lot of "meat" in the head of the stock, so it may be difficult. If you have handled the gun as described, is would suspect that the crack was already there when you bought it. Any work on the stock without the support of the action will have weakened it. Not sure how the gun shop will react. Sorry I can't be of more help

Now thats a kick in the balls!! To be honest i would be very surprised if the shop agreed to pay.... you will need to have that professionally repaired.

Sage is the chap to ask if he is about, if not click on the link on my signatrue and have a butchers. They are a great bunch of chaps and will be happy to advise

is this repair suitable?

No, you will have to drill and use dowels. Use good Epoxy wood glue as well.

Do i need a new stock?

No, and if you keep and saw dust you can mix it with watered down wood glue to make a filler for any minor crack marks.

will the shop pay?

Why would they. Some times I get bloody sick of this blame culture. You snapped it, you fix it. End of.

Edited by HUnter_zero

All seems well now, i have glued and filled and sanded and is now undergoing a treatment of the old tru oil and then a wax, it seems very strong and will be putting it to the test saturday afternoon along with my new ghillie suit and my mates pigeon magnet

Also i spoke to the shop owner and he was skeptical that it would just break under rubbing pressure so we are trying my fix and if it fails it will be sent off to his gunsmiths

Scott

most modern wood clues are now rated stonger than the wood it's self the fault most people make is not preping the jointing surfaces if the is any residue's on the sufaces the glue will not addear properly pining is the best solution as it increases the glue surface area but if the break was clean and proper preasure was applied when glueing not to much as to squease the glue out but enough that the wood meets evenly then the joint will hold