shooting with terriers

hi

i was just wondering which of the following breeds of terrier would suit best for woodcock/pheasant shooting as i plan on getting one to experiment with:

Patterdale

Jack Russell

Lakeland

Fox terrier

Border

Airdale

Kerry Blue

Irish

Fell

overall i just want to know which of them beats well(i don't really care about retrieving as i have a retriever) as i've had spaniels and i just wanted to try an alternative.

thanks

hi

i was just wondering which of the following breeds of terrier would suit best for woodcock/pheasant shooting as i plan on getting one to experiment with:

Patterdale

Jack Russell

Lakeland

Fox terrier

Border

Airdale

Kerry Blue

Irish

Fell

overall i just want to know which of them beats well(i don't really care about retrieving as i have a retriever) as i've had spaniels and i just wanted to try an alternative.

thanks

i have seen several borders on shoots,i have used my cocker x lakeland,

why would you want a terrier for shooting with ok there might be a few excepional ones out there what can do the job with the right person behind it but i cant think of a worse way of ruining a seasons shooting most terriers are stubbon best of times and once on scent have a mind of there own id of thought you would want a spaniel ect dont get me wrong i love terriers but think they are better for doing the job intended for them can see it only leading to disaster my self unless ur a great dog handler / trainer

An informal /small friends Shoot would be the best place for a Terrier if going to try.

No Hard,Breeding tho! best keep to Lucas / Sealyham ,Type dogs,,But Up on the Leg or its a long day for the short leg dog.

I have used A fell bitch,but she was very biddable,I have started 2 Ilmer/Lucas pups last season,an could get into tight spots in tree fells that the bigger dogs couldn't,but they are getting older and more Headstrong in their approach to hunting up SO ! might have to split An hunt the bitch.Make Sure You Train as would a Springer,Control, GunShy etc. Watch for them pegging Runners ,the'll waste them. A cocker a small black one would be just like a Terrier with long ears THO ! If your into shooting will be better utilised allround. :yes:

I have a leggy russel and I've never seen a gun dog do better than her .

Best thing about her is that she was rescued from the pound.

Our shoot is informal and the more dogs beating the better but without a doubht my terrier and a mates russels are the best there .

Atb

myles

• Like 1

My JRT's dam is used almost exclusively on a shoot for flushing, and mine puts up Pheasants every time we're out ferreting in the winter. They'll never beat a purpose bred spaniel for flushing, but they can get into places other dogs can't. :thumbs:

Our shoot is informal and the more dogs beating the better but without a doubht my terrier and a mates russels are the best there .

Atb

myles

Why do these posts keep popping up now and again........pmsl everytime. If its not a lurcher being a better retriever than a gundog we've now got terriers better than bushing gundogs at 'there' job. Just cause you aint seen it doesn't make them better mate....it doesn't say much for your mates gundogs in your little shoot.... :thumbs:

Atb

myles

Why do these posts keep popping up now and again........pmsl everytime. If its not a lurcher being a better retriever than a gundog we've now got terriers better than bushing gundogs at 'there' job. Just cause you aint seen it doesn't make them better mate....it doesn't say much for your mates gundogs in your little shoot.... :thumbs:

I know of a labrador that has caught a few hares on shoot days(not a joke).

Could be the new lurcher.

:laugh:

FTB

I've seen some very good bushing dogs on some big shoots.

I realise my terrier will never be a retriever but I have she is the best busher I've evver seen .

Atb

myles

Well f**k me sideways. That is me well and truely converted.

If you can train it to point grouse I will shoot me pointers and offer you big money for it.

:whistling:

FTB

I realise my terrier will never be a retriever but I have she is the best busher I've evver seen .

Atb

myles

what other breeds of dog are on your shoot?

Atb

myles

I know of a labrador that has caught a few hares on shoot days(not a joke).

Could be the new lurcher.

FTB

My big Lab' has caught a couple of deer now too mate...................f**k this i'm off to the Lurcher section to tell them there missing a trick.... :whistling:

Atb

myles

what other breeds of dog are on your shoot?

Collie

Chiwawa

a geriatric whippet

and one guy who brings his cat

FTB