Try thick slices of shin beef. Coat them in flour, fry them off and pop them into a casserole dish. Then fry off plenty of chopped onion, garlic, sliced carrot and celery. Add these to the casserole. Pour over a glass of red wine and just enough beef stock to cover. Now you add a " flavour bomb "..... try a teasoon of back olive tapenade, a handful of grated parmesan, a dessert spoon of sundried tomato paste, a drizzle of good quality balsamic and a teaspoon of sugar. Cook on a low heat for two or three hours and serve with mash and greens. Yum.

P.S. Don't forget plenty of back pepper, but no salt because commercial stocks are nearly all salt anyway. Try Knorr bottled stock.....it gives great results. :)

• Like 3

Try thick slices of shin beef. Coat them in flour, fry them off and pop them into a casserole dish. Then fry off plenty of chopped onion, garlic, sliced carrot and celery. Add these to the casserole. Pour over a glass of red wine and just enough beef stock to cover. Now you add a " flavour bomb "..... try a teasoon of back olive tapenade, a handful of grated parmesan, a dessert spoon of sundried tomato paste, a drizzle of good quality balsamic and a teaspoon of sugar. Cook on a low heat for two or three hours and serve with mash and greens. Yum.

P.S. Don't forget plenty of back pepper, but no salt because commercial stocks are nearly all salt anyway. Try Knorr bottled stock.....it gives great results. :)

Sounds yum to me too..! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We call it beef hough up here I cut mine up dip in seasoned flour fry off till coloured remove from pan add diced onion sweat them till soft but not coloured deglase pan with port I then put meat onions and juices into my slow cooker with two oxo's 1/2 teaspoon of marmite and two potatoes cut into 1/4in dice and let it cook away till meat is ready to melt I use two decent sized potatoes and the same with onions thepotatoes start to break down and thicken the gravy if you want dumplings add them approx 15/20 mins before serving for the dumplings the ratio is half weight of suet to self raising flour 1/4 teaspoon baking powder dry mix and add only enough water to make a stiff dough roll into balls and pop into stew remember they will rise and expand if you do this stew in the oven in a cast iron casserole with a cast lid roll the dough out put on top of stew put lid on and you will have a suet crust crisp on top fluffy underneath.enjoy! nb I dont use garlic etc in my traditional recepies stew,mince staek pie and so on but I use it in almost everything else. Forgot to say about 1 1/2 lbs of beef hough in this dish.

• 1 month later...

GOING TO TRY THIS, SOUNDS NICE :yes::good:

I like shin too - in the slow cooker with good stock, red wine, whole cloves of garlic that you fish out and mash up and stir back in at the end (garlic cooked like this is lovely and mild) and puy or blue lentils. Put it in the cooker in the morning and it's ready for the evening - perfect after a day out ferreting. Good with mash and veg or chunks of rustic bread.