lost male harris hawk

leepy1

alright chaps my dad has lost his male harris hawk in ossett west yorkshire anyone with any info please leave me a msg i will pay a reward for this bird bk as the old man is gutted cheers chaps

how long as it been out is it at hunting weight or fat weight this years bird or older any telem on it or swivel an leash sorry for the questions but if we knew these we could advise on getting it back it wont travel to far maybe a mile or 2 is it enterd get to were it was last seen youll probably see it getting mobbed by other corvids good luck getting it back

• 2 weeks later...

whats amazing these days is cos the price of a harris is now around 200 not many people will buy telem and when it goes missing a reward is put up ,but if the prices where like when they where frist introduced to the uk and prices around 1500-2,000 i bet they would have put telem on then ,i do hope u get your bird back but make this a lesson learned.

• Like 1

grovsey- the secon post i read where you are being less than constructive, i'm sure you "know you onions" but i am also just as sure that the price of the bird/telemetry were the last thing on his mind when he LOST it.

do you have telemetry on your bird all the time? when weathering/manning?

i am sure the lesson has been learned without your "school master (no doubt finger in the air approach".

i wish the poster all the best in getting the bird back soonest.

waidmannsheil!!

grovsey- the secon post i read where you are being less than constructive, i'm sure you "know you onions" but i am also just as sure that the price of the bird/telemetry were the last thing on his mind when he LOST it.

do you have telemetry on your bird all the time? when weathering/manning?

i am sure the lesson has been learned without your "school master (no doubt finger in the air approach".

i wish the poster all the best in getting the bird back soonest.

waidmannsheil!!

if the bird escapes from on its perch that is down to bad bird management 99% of the time with people doing single knotts or poor knots ect..school master its just a jase of the por state of falconry in the uk and the fasion it has become to own a bird Edited by grovsey
  • Like 1

and the case of this bird is helped by your asumptions how exactly??

we do not know how the bird became free ( nor does it matter at the moment).

i do not agree that falconry is in "a poor state", only that birds have become "more available" and mistakes made by falconers can be conveyed easier through the internet etc.

the place to air your concerns may well be your own thread and not this one.

waidmannsheil.

Flew a good few birds in the past without Telemetry! the fact is back then my family couldn't afford such luxurys so I had to make do. I think one of the last bird was a Retail which was pretty pricey back then but the bird was there to be flown so fly it I did, before the days of Telemetry we had to make do with field craft and bells which seems to be lacking these days in favour of telemetry being their saviour, I had a few out overnight but thankfully retreived them in the end....

I hope you get your bird back soon Leepy! things can get pretty tense when you lose a bird. with luck you'll have a happy ending mate :thumbs:

personaly I think people get too confident with their telemetry and start to fly birds well out of any sort of condition! risks are taken on many occasions :yes:. one thing flying a bird without telemetry teaches you is to get the bird in condition so it returns home again safe in the mews.

Jasp

and the case of this bird is helped by your asumptions how exactly??

we do not know how the bird became free ( nor does it matter at the moment).

i do not agree that falconry is in "a poor state", only that birds have become "more available" and mistakes made by falconers can be conveyed easier through the internet etc.

waidmannsheil.

falconry is a joke now days ,there are more birds bout than land for people to fly on in most regions,then they go out and buy there bird that they go no idea about the breeding ect just see the price in the paper ect 'harris for sale £200' but some stuff of ebay then get home woith out hardly ever being out with a bird and not even found a experianced mentor not some one that had had a bird for a season or two then wonder what went wrong when it does ,i can understand why they get soe excided but faclrony centres,displays and the law have a lot to do with this

• Like 1