prone shooting position

Hello all,

Im a grouse keeper and from time to time i have to sit out for a fox or a vixen comming back to her cubs and can be there for hours. I find when lying in the prone position for a long time my neck, arms and shoulders start to hurt, I was wonding if anyone had some tip for this?

Cheers, Tom

A while back I took a lad out with me to lay up after some rabbits and I'd given him various bits of instruction/tips and only later realised I'd forgot to tell him to rest his neck. Poor chap sat there all night eye glued to the scope and could barely move the next day.

I will rest my neck for periods when laying up by either laying on my side or back or just by working the neck regularly by facing the ground briefly, only need to do it for a few seconds if you do it regularly.

Tom. Coming from a sniping and gamekeeping background the best bit of advice I can give you is spend a bit of time building or selecting a comfortable firing position. Try and position your body so that your legs are slightly lower than your body, and this isn't always possible if shooting across a valley. The biggest mistake a lot of people make is trying to asume the fp and keep it for hours on end. If possible set your binos on a rest or small tripod observing the den, and then use a combination of your skills of observation and field craft. When like you I am on the moor lying up, I am listening for the tell tale auditory signs, such as the grouse growling or the curlew going Hell for leather. That's the time to get behind the rifle and looking over the top of the scope pick up the fox. It also gives you the time to settle.

This combination of mark one eyeball, binos and scope, should make all the difference.

Check your eye relief aswell as this changeable considerably from position to position, and you should be able to rest your head on the stock without using your neck muscles.

Any issues contact me.

cheers for the adivce, just got in from sitting out then a few hour with the lamp, but it was a no show. i was wondering if you put a sand bag or pillow under your chest/upper boady when your prone do you think it would take some strain of your neck and sholders?

You can try what you want, the most important thing is that you are comfortable, and that whatever you use allows that perfect or near perfect position when you have to take the shot. When you have a known location to ambush the fox, such as a rock den or other, I will sometimes spend a bit of time during the day to sort out fire position, removing rocks etc to ensure comfort when lying out. Usually quite safe to do this if 150-200m + away from den. Always work on the basis that a solid shooting position is better than an improvised one. The more you do it of course, the more your neck muscles will adapt. Bet you don't even notice the aching when Charlie turns up!