Swimming with the BIG FISH

Guest Rabbiteer

Guest Rabbiteer

:clapper: Thought I would say a few words of thanks to the BIG FISH for inviting me up to his permission for a days ferreting with CHALKWARREN and himself. :D

The drive up with Chakwarren was "Emotional" enough with the cries of "Its moving with rabbits" and "Look, Look, did you see them rabbits on the edge, that place is absoluty crawling" every time we passed a rabbit on the side of the road. :laugh:

Pulling up at the BIG FISH's place you cant help but appreciate the beauty of his surroundings and instanty fell in love :kiss: with it compared to my outer city hell hole.

Moving out to the new permission we could easily :icon_eek: see the amount of rabbit sign that litter the fields. Within a few minutes we were out, had recce'd the ground and setting the longnets out. First catches came pretty quick. With CHALKWARRENS dog doing a great job of marking the holes with rabbits in. :clapper:

We set up a longnet along the edge of a road and a hedge row, chucked in seven ferrets and waited for the bolters. I was positioned along the back age of the net. On CHALKWARRENS first shout of " Go on Nik, Get him" I ran at a speed of a thousend gazelles at this rabbit caught in the net. :censored: Stopping was a differant matter, and slipped on my arse right in front of BIG FISH. You could almost hear the two of them thinking I would be better of in the motor. However they both continued to tollerate my mishaps.

That done, we moved away from the main warrens and moved in to the open and netting any thing the dog marked. BIG FISH took his £1000 ferret with him and we had a few nets between us. BIG FISH said the idea would be to flush some rabbits back in to the longnet we still had up, and sure enough he was right. I swear CHALKWARREN lost a few ounces running back and forward after honey to that net. :D

I even saw my first hare today :clapper: , but CHALKWARREN and BIG FISH quickly pointed out that they are illegal to chase and that we would be leaving them well alone as not to get in to trouble. Towards the end a deer ran close by us and it was a delight to see such a great animal less than 50yrds away.

But unfortunatly, all to soon it was the end of the day :no: . I gutted the rabbits, and whilst receiving much ridicule from them both I managed to slash myself with my knife :censored: . But thats what I get for losing concentration.

After even more ridicule for cutting myself, it was back to BIG FISH's for tea and medals.

Have got to say, to date it was my best days ferreting. Being taught how to work a to a dog and long nets by these guys is great. You make it look so easy! BIG FISH was kind enough to give me some of his ferrets to improve my stock, and I look forward to using them next week.

Once again have to say thanks to CHALKWARREN for the lift.

And a big thanks to BIG FISH for my best days ferreting, and thanks for the hospitality you showed me when I was at your house. I couldnt believe that it was possible to have that many rabbits on one bit of land down south but as CHALKWARREN would say "Its Moving", and he would be right!

Look forward to it again,

Thanks.

Edited by Rabbiteer

Guest The Big Fish

:laugh:

Glad you enjoyed your day on safari :victory:

Just think, these rich fellas spend thousands of pounds traveling to africa and you had to just get in the car for half an hour :laugh:

Twas a good day :)

_MG_7098resize.jpg

And you have to admit, the place was MOVING!

Edited by The Big Fish
:laugh:

Glad you enjoyed your day on safari :victory:

Just think, these rich fellas spend thousands of pounds traveling to africa and you had to just get in the car for half an hour :laugh:

Twas a good day :)

_MG_7098resize.jpg

And you have to admit, the place was MOVING!

cheers bigfish, nice to see someone sharing their good fortune, :victory: fair play to ya :victory: ps. nice dog :victory:

glad to see you had a good day sorry to say youre no gazzele ahah had many a happy visitor to gods country up in scotland ,had a few good days with a freind from durham chipper , glad to see phil etc doing you a good time , good to help fellow pesters , all the best