Them Yorkshire brambles dammit

On holiday in West Yorkshire I have use of a piece of steep brambly overgrown woodland to shoot on with the 3 guns I recently picked up: a BSA Superstar .22, a BSA Ultra Multishot .22 and an HW95 .177 All secondhand but well cared for and sold by decent people at fair prices. This morning I fixed up the Combro to chrono the Ultra - it's a bit low on power at 10fpe but no one told the wood pigeon that landed on a nearby branch. I took a standing shot, off hand at a (later)lasered 34 yards and was pleased to see it drop flap its wings once before its lights went out.

This evening I was out with the HW95 already chrono'd at 10.7fpe. A bit on the low side but it shoots very sweetly. I was waiting for a jay to return to a pine tree where it has its nest with young to feed I think. There was a blur of movement which paused and resolved into a bushy tail and rodent head. I had already lasered the tree at 43 yards and checked my zero. I took a kneeling shot, put the cross on the squirrel's upper chest and fired. It dropped like a stone into impenetrable brambles below. I tried to get to it but took a dive into some brambles myself and nearly dropped my rifle. I will see if I can do better in the morning as it was a fine specimen. No pics I'm afraid but some satisfying shooting.

ATB Chris

Nice one Chris sounds like you having a blast there.

Nothing wrong in my book with 10.7 ft / lbs mate. My old HW35 was doing that and my mate Sergej now hammers stuff with it.

45 metres is still no problem.

ATB

Si