Urgent

ive rung the vet and no answer so cant get him to a vet until tomorrow because i think there closed

went out to the nest box to find one of the biggest hobs in the litter like kind of fitting but not fitting ive took him out and he cant use his back legs and seems to be breathing very heavy i have been keeping them cool by putting boards up to keep them cool etc and have now took him out of the nest box and is in a tub in my room it is 6/7 weeks old and seems to be fading fast

anyone know what to do that would comfort him or make him less in pain till tomorrow thanks ?

Edited by atomo

sadly died a few seconds ago . unfortunaly looking in a lot of pain unlike before when it just looked like it had a stroke couldnt do nothing to make the death more swift and painless as it was over pretty fast

it went to answering machine which give me the emergency number i rung that and the woman said there was no vets on till tomorrow :S as the vet was off so the surgery was closed ,tbh though by the time id have got it there it would have been died because it died pretty fast so theres not much they could of done if i had got it to them

Sorry to here about the ferret mate. But if i had a vet like that i will be looking for a new

hes usualy good but tbh i didnt think of phoneing another vet surgery i just rung the one and tried to make the little fella as comfortable as possible :doh:

its sickened me a little bit tbh ive had ferrets for years and bred them etc this is the first on that has died on me ino im surposed to be used to all of this with doing rabbiting and that but when of you stock dies it knock you backwards a little bit and you start think what youve done wrong

sorry to hear that mate.

just for future reference, and I know it's a good half hour away from you, but Wrexham Veterinary Care has a 24 hour service, I've used it in the early hours a couple of times and they're always there, and the rate is no dearer than the normal rate for a vet, bit of a treck but if you don't have any other option it's worth noting.

bad news about your fert though, any idea what happened?

sorry to hear that mate.

just for future reference, and I know it's a good half hour away from you, but Wrexham Veterinary Care has a 24 hour service, I've used it in the early hours a couple of times and they're always there, and the rate is no dearer than the normal rate for a vet, bit of a treck but if you don't have any other option it's worth noting.

bad news about your fert though, any idea what happened?

it looked like a fit and was gasping for breath i got it to breath normal again and relax then it started agen only this time i couldnt help it it looked like a fit or heat stroke to me but im not a expert and wouldnt no were to start with helping it

Heat is a killer if not spotted quick ,

i tried to stop it i had boards up shading the hutch and soaking it in cold water ever time i was in the back garden which was alot because it was a nice day

All you can do it make sure the hutch or court is located in deep shade in the hot weather. Don't put boards up as they will stop the flow of air. If you absolutely cannot put the hutch in the shade then cover with white sheets on top (white reflects heat from the sun's rays), then put a couple of sticks across the roof so they stick out over the front of the hutch and hang another white sheet over the front: make sure there's at least 6 inches of air space between the sheet and the front of the hutch, and hold down with stones on the roof. Make sure that air can circulate around the sheet and into the hutch, and keep the sheets sprayed down with cold water.

Also, make sure the nest box is wide open: if there's only a tiny hole into the next box and there is also a door at the front of the box, prop the door open and put some mesh in the opening. You can also put coke bottles filled with iced water into the hutch: not in the nest box, so the ferrets have the option of lying close up against the bottles if they get too hot.

• Like 2

All you can do it make sure the hutch or court is located in deep shade in the hot weather. Don't put boards up as they will stop the flow of air. If you absolutely cannot put the hutch in the shade then cover with white sheets on top (white reflects heat from the sun's rays), then put a couple of sticks across the roof so they stick out over the front of the hutch and hang another white sheet over the front: make sure there's at least 6 inches of air space between the sheet and the front of the hutch, and hold down with stones on the roof. Make sure that air can circulate around the sheet and into the hutch, and keep the sheets sprayed down with cold water.

Also, make sure the nest box is wide open: if there's only a tiny hole into the next box and there is also a door at the front of the box, prop the door open and put some mesh in the opening. You can also put coke bottles filled with iced water into the hutch: not in the nest box, so the ferrets have the option of lying close up against the bottles if they get too hot.

thanks for that i think ill use a couple of them

thats bang on there matey :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: