field trial dog or not

Hi all, its something i,ve be thinking about for alog time.Do you buy a field trial dog or would you or could you buy a pedigree gun dog with no history????

Depends on what you want to do ? If you go to a field trial you will not see the handlers with a gun.

I have a dog with load of FTCH in her pedigree and to be honest she is good, BUT she was a BA***** to train, she did and still is on full throttle ALL the time .

I use her for beating and it was the only way to channel her energy without driving me mad.

When i come to breed from her i will use a dog with very little FTCH in it as i want a calmer springer not another whirlwind !!!

So i would say a good Working background is as good if not better than a pedigree full of FTCH for most shooting men.

It just depends on what you want the dog to do!

If its just a general purpose gundog.Then wait untill you see a dog that you like and its style of working,and book a pup out of it the next time the guy decides to breed.

Dogs are just like us! All different.

You could quite easily get 10 guys with 10 different idea,s of what they want in a dog .

Its entirely your preference to the type of dog you want .

The best thing would be to wait untill you see a dog that YOU really like and then take it from there.

Hi all, its something i,ve be thinking about for alog time.Do you buy a field trial dog or would you or could you buy a pedigree gun dog with no history????

Depends on what you want to do ? If you go to a field trial you will not see the handlers with a gun.

I have a dog with load of FTCH in her pedigree and to be honest she is good, BUT she was a BA***** to train, she did and still is on full throttle ALL the time .

I use her for beating and it was the only way to channel her energy without driving me mad.

When i come to breed from her i will use a dog with very little FTCH in it as i want a calmer springer not another whirlwind !!!

So i would say a good Working background is as good if not better than a pedigree full of FTCH for most shooting men.

I totally agree with Coldweld, but would like to add that for me it depends also on the breed of dog.

Spaniels are explained above, but i also think the same is for GWP's where you might want to avoid too many FTCH's as they can be a bit over enthusiastic and take longer to mature.

But i would say the opposite for Labs, as i like them with fire in there belly and the more fire the harder they hunt in cover, i am sure some will disagree but personally it is a must for me.

ATB

Dave.

I have a very well bred cocker out of a field trial champion who's very easy to train, very steady when you want him to be and got all the gears when needed.I've also got an ordinary working cocker who's thick she's hard to train doesn't seem to be able to concentrate for to long and generally not as quick but alot harder work!!

well most gun dogs will have champs in mine has but a field trial dog can come out ov eney litter id say as long as it is steady to game and stops when its asked i think its down to good training and strong bond to its hangler two working as one iv seen dogs work well that dont even have a pedigree ie sprockers so buy whot you whont and train it well

well most gun dogs will have champs in mine has but a field trial dog can come out ov eney litter id say as long as it is steady to game and stops when its asked i think its down to good training and strong bond to its hangler two working as one iv seen dogs work well that dont even have a pedigree ie sprockers so buy whot you whont and train it well

I wouldn't buy a pup with no history, and i would want some good dogs in the line etc, but you have to remember that field trial dogs WERE NOT bred to do a full days beating etc, they were bred to work flat out, full steam, giving EVERYTHING for less than a half hour.

Seen some great trailing dogs with little stamina for a full day.

So i would want a dog from a LINE of dogs with very good field trial history, but where the DIRECT ancestors (i.e dam / sire) had been used for full days shooting etc.

I wouldn't buy a pup with no history, and i would want some good dogs in the line etc, but you have to remember that field trial dogs WERE NOT bred to do a full days beating etc, they were bred to work flat out, full steam, giving EVERYTHING for less than a half hour.

Seen some great trailing dogs with little stamina for a full day.

So i would want a dog from a LINE of dogs with very good field trial history, but where the DIRECT ancestors (i.e dam / sire) had been used for full days shooting etc.

well ideation thats exactly how i would do it oops sorry have done it and it worked a treat mate good working lines is the way